Calf muscle injury

KK913

Looking for some quick advice. My calf muscle just made a popping sound and now the muscle is so tight and painful, it’s hard to balance, bear weight or walk. When I stand straight, I can feel it trying to stretch and elongate, but one wrong movement makes me lose balance and almost fall down. Can’t see a doctor until Monday.  

reading online for some treatment advice - recommends ice and elevation. Another said heat and gentle stretching. Unsure which to follow but my guess is elevate with ice?  I know this is a common injury, I’m just it sure how severe mine is. Can’t tell if it’s torn or a bad strain. Any advice would be appreciated. 

First 48 hours ice and elevate (Slow down the inflammation)

After that, heat and gently start using again (Speed up the healing).

I don’t think there any real science behind that though. 
Personally, I always do which ever one feels better, 
and for me that’s usually ice and elevate. 

Edited by nycman

Not a doctor here, but perhaps also watch for signs of any possible clot formation.  I think the main signs are swelling, redness, pain, and hotness in the immediate area.  I only mention this because a friend injured his calf and ended up with a clot that was found by ultrasound.  He did a course of anti-coagulant meds and was fine. 

Thank you. I saw a podiatrist on Monday and he examined my calf. Taking the conservative treatment route and he wrapped my lower leg with a compression bandage and using crutches at the moment. Wrote a prescription for physical therapy once l am past the acute injury phase. 

I guess I’m just curious on how the healing process works.  Does the muscle tear just grow back together over time?  When I try to extend my leg, the calf is really tight and tender. When the muscle has some blood flow, it feels better and easier to lengthen the calf muscle. I have work has me on my feet and moving a lot so I want to make sure I’m not doing anything to make it worse.