Celebration Cake: Bon Appétit, May 1979

gallahadesquire

In the May 1979 issue of Bon Appetit magazine, there was a recipe for “new keg for Grace occasions”.

It was a two-nut (hazelnuts and one other) nut meringue made from nuts, sugar, and eight (8) egg whites, spread into a jelly roll pan, then quartered to make a sort of loaf. 

The frosting was a buttercream contains the eight egg yolks, three sticks of butter, sugar, and vanilla, Kailua, and chocolate buttercreams.  Heart attack that tastes good. 

I’ve lost my copy of the recipe. I signed on to Bon Appétit’s “50,000 recipe” vault and can’t find it. I can’t find it online either. 

Any assistance would be deeply appreciated. 

image.thumb.jpeg.39451a08db2c5b284984985295345d9b.jpeg

I doubt I'll have any more luck than you did in finding the old recipe, but it sounds like a dacqoise with French buttercream filling.  Google "dacqoise" (it's a pretty standard French recipe), then make a French buttercream, adding melted but cooled chocolate.  You can add Kahlua to flavor the buttercream, just 1 tbs max otherwise it might split.  Cut the dacqoise in 4, fill the layers with your buttercream, et voilà!