Home Security Systems with Cellular Backups

BeamerBikes
This topic is 786 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Just a FYI for folks.  If you have an older residential grade alarm system with a cellular primary or backup, you may want to initiate a test call to your alarm monitoring service.  A popular cellular backup device used 3G networks, now being shutdown this year. 

I noticed my cell backup device flashed red, and sure enough no longer online.  No notice from the alarm company.  

Not a huge deal. I'm overdue for a home security overhaul.  Going down the Ring Alarm / camera route.  No Telco landline needed and comes with a cellular backup option to internet. 

I've personally just invested in cellular backup to the internet connection itself.   I'm using a Cradlepoint so that if I can't reach the internet through Fios, it will automatically route the request via the cellular.  

https://cradlepoint.com/product/endpoints/e300/

(This is a bit more advanced than what most people would use at home, but I'm a nerd at heart!)

7 minutes ago, Lucky said:

Just about everyone around me has an alarm service. Is that why they are never needed?

It may be fine, but the backup technology (if it’s based on 3G) won’t continue to work without a hardware upgrade. If you’re forced to upgrade, it might be worth looking at overall cost/value/technology. 

21 hours ago, Lucky said:

Just about everyone around me has an alarm service. Is that why they are never needed?

I have an alarm system mainly for fire/flood monitoring and secondarily for the insurance discount.  I installed a basic system at my family's property when it was for sale. Again mainly for fire/flood/freeze monitoring.

The old systems installed up until the 2000s required a landline phone connection.  The cellular backup device was a way to get around the landline requirement and still have monitoring. 

I'm only updating now to continue the fire/flood monitoring, and insurance discount. I don't know how much deterrence an alarm system really is for burgarly. I'd rather rely on more common sense stuff.  Keeping the place well lit. Locking the doors/windows. Etc

On 4/19/2022 at 1:59 AM, RadioRob said:

I've personally just invested in cellular backup to the internet connection itself.   I'm using a Cradlepoint so that if I can't reach the internet through Fios, it will automatically route the request via the cellular.  

https://cradlepoint.com/product/endpoints/e300/

(This is a bit more advanced than what most people would use at home, but I'm a nerd at heart!)

Yeah, the ring alarm pro has a whole house internet backup option included, but they want you to replace all your existing home network.  That's a decent option if you aren't tied to your home router/wireless setup.  

I opted for the Ubiquiti backup since I'm already down the Ubiquiti road even if the popular kiddos on Twitter Infosec are anti Ubiquiti these days.  The money in my case has been spent. Not going to rip it all out on idealism. 

Ring Alarm base also includes a cell backup. I have to look into how that the basic cell backup works. I'm sure they are using an LTE network. 

As much as there are haters out there on the UI side, I still like the products.  I’ve actually got it deployed in a few locations that I manage.  

It’s simple and “just works” for the most part.  My biggest gripe with them is that they’re slow on adopting new technology.   (They’re just getting into Wi-Fi 6, and no word yet on 6E, etc.)

10 hours ago, RadioRob said:

As much as there are haters out there on the UI side, I still like the products.  I’ve actually got it deployed in a few locations that I manage.  

It’s simple and “just works” for the most part.  My biggest gripe with them is that they’re slow on adopting new technology.   (They’re just getting into Wi-Fi 6, and no word yet on 6E, etc.)

The current drama with Ubiquiti and InfoSec Twitter is ubiquiti's lawsuit against Krebs for his blog reporting (light on sourcing) on their breach inflicting market loss.  This was related back to the employee who leaked the user/passwords, then was the source for Krebs reporting using the cover the former employee was blowing the whistle on poor practices as I understand it.

Edited by BeamerBikes
Clarifying