Old guys on scooters

foxy
This topic is 788 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

More and more I see guys (woman too) of a certain age zipping around town on scooters. When I say “town” I’m talking New York City traffic. I’m impressed and maybe a little terrified at the thought and perhaps envious of their bravery. I would wipe out in no time. Usually no helmets. So I’ve been wondering if anyone here has one and uses it on a regular basis for getting around? 
And speaking of alternative modes of transportation, whatever happened to rollerblades? I used to see a lot of people using them in the city but can’t think of the last time I saw anyone on them. I was always almost sort of tempted to try but chickened out. Equally terrifying. 

I have a friend that keeps a Razor electric scooter for me in Honolulu that I use when I’m there for volunteer work. I need to run around three or four locations within a mile or two of each other and it’s very helpful. I’ve been using it for 4-5 years.

Last summer however (yes I wear a helmet) I took a pretty bad fall forward trying to avoid getting hit by a car, landing on the palm of my right hand and my forearms. Lots of bloody road rash, but no real harm done other than I still have two white scars running up and down my inside of my right forearm.

31 minutes ago, foxy said:

More and more I see guys (woman too) of a certain age zipping around town on scooters. When I say “town” I’m talking New York City traffic. I’m impressed and maybe a little terrified at the thought and perhaps envious of their bravery. I would wipe out in no time. Usually no helmets. So I’ve been wondering if anyone here has one and uses it on a regular basis for getting around? 
And speaking of alternative modes of transportation, whatever happened to rollerblades? I used to see a lot of people using them in the city but can’t think of the last time I saw anyone on them. I was always almost sort of tempted to try but chickened out. Equally terrifying. 

I still use my rollerblades often - have enjoyed inline skating for a long time.  I suspect that, like rollerblading, it is important to learn how to fall correctly.  Debbie Merrill taught me everything I know!  And rollerblading pads are specifically designed to cover and protect the areas of the body that is most likely to hit the ground when you fall (knees, elbows, wrists).  Helmets are clearly important too - not sure if I would prefer a rollerblading helmet or a biking helmet though...

spacer.png