The Latest Watergate Book

Lucky
This topic is 764 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

It's titled Watergate A New History, and it's written by Garrett M. Graff, the director for cyber initiatives at the Aspen Institute and author of several books. Without the notes and index, it still takes up almost 700 pages. And, it's an interesting read.

It would be easier if we hadn't just been through the Trump presidency to engage in presidential acts of 50 years ago. Nixon might seem saintly in comparison. But so tired am I of reading about presidential misdeeds that the Watergate book is not getting the attention I want to give it.

In order to keep it to one volume, things are mentioned that deserve more attention. The idea that General Al Haig was in over his head is only suggested in a footnote. But the book does allow me to revisit the Nixon years. Most of the principals are dead now, and it does seem like a long time ago. But that's history, isn't it?

Anyway, I just passed page 500.

• 2 months later...
On 3/23/2022 at 7:03 PM, Lucky said:

It's titled Watergate A New History, and it's written by Garrett M. Graff, the director for cyber initiatives at the Aspen Institute and author of several books. Without the notes and index, it still takes up almost 700 pages. And, it's an interesting read.

It would be easier if we hadn't just been through the Trump presidency to engage in presidential acts of 50 years ago. Nixon might seem saintly in comparison. But so tired am I of reading about presidential misdeeds that the Watergate book is not getting the attention I want to give it.

In order to keep it to one volume, things are mentioned that deserve more attention. The idea that General Al Haig was in over his head is only suggested in a footnote. But the book does allow me to revisit the Nixon years. Most of the principals are dead now, and it does seem like a long time ago. But that's history, isn't it?

Anyway, I just passed page 500.

Did the book have much to say about Martha Mitchell. 
I see Netflix has a documentary on her, if i may.

Edited by OCClient