Easing back into social/dating after significant health issues?

BeamerBikes
This topic is 842 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Anyone have any recommendations on how to ease back into going out/meeting new people after a long dry spell?  

Back in 2017, I started down the road of significant abdominal surgeries. A partial colonectomy from diverticulitis, spiraled into an ostomy, reversal, then two open hernia surgeries, and facing hopefully the final hernia surgery in a few months.  Oh yeah, and then COVID shutting everything down. 

Just wondering if anyone else faced how to start getting back social circles after significant medical setbacks?  I'll go out to dinner with married suburban friends, but haven't ventured past my bubble in several years. In my 20s, I'd go out to the bar life in the city. In my 30s, I settled into my stripper bar habit aka my gay cheers while doing long term caregiving. Then the health issues creep in. Now in my 40s, I'm going stir crazy and yet also don't want to repeat the heavy boozing that usually comes along with going out. 

Perhaps it is just as simple as deciding to go out for acouple drinks, and calling it early. I curious for options on what worked for others in a similar situation. Sitting on grindr seems fruitless, I'd rather go out and take my chances making new friends in real life. 

Always an option as well. I'm based in Chicago though. Drinking tends to be our thing.  As bicoastal friends have noticed, this city has a binge drinking problem. 😁

Though in all seriousness, I've seen friends go deep into the bottle and it's scares me enough to never make it a regular habit.