Juan Martín del Potro (almost) announces his retirement

BSR
This topic is 797 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

The latest Juan Martín del Potro comeback is from a broken kneecap, caused when he slipped and fell on it at Queens Club (June 2019).  He's had four(!) surgeries on the knee since yet has still not fully recovered.  Even though he complains of pain and I can't imagine he's fit enough to play an ATP tournament, he still plans to play Buenos Aires (??).  In a press conference, Juan Martín del Potro said, "It’s possible that this is more of a goodbye than a comeback."  While he didn't say 100% for sure that he was retiring, it sounds like that the official retirement announcement is imminent post-tournament.

As many times as he's come back from so many injuries (I've long since lost count), this last one was just too much.  JMDP has always been one of my favorites.  I liked him for his loveable personality and his monster forehand, and of course he got the underdog support from fans after coming back from one injury after another after another.

When it rains, it pours.  As if this (likely) career-ending injury weren't bad enough, Juan Martín received a financial shock after his father's death last year.  His father had been managing his money, or rather mismanaging it in multiple bad investments.  Of the original $30 million, JMDP has only $3 million left, with a number of debts still to be paid.  You would hope that the guy would at least be able to retire in comfort and style after an injury-plagued career ($30 million can buy a helluva lotta solace).  Now I'm worried the guy is broke or close to it.

Edited by BSR
Rewording

• 3 weeks later...

It sounds like del Potro's financial situation is pretty bad.  If his $6K in prize money was garnished, does that mean the guy is broke or even in debt??  Crapfest, as if the poor guy didn't already have his share of sh*tty luck with injuries.