Casablanca’ at 80 still has much to teach us about sacrifice.

marylander1940
This topic is 791 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Why ‘Casablanca,’ at 80 years old, still speaks to us (aleteia.org)

Politics has been my life but 'Casablanca’ at 80 still has much to teach us | Fox News

CasablancaPoster-Gold.jpg

b81de2b21e3388c2a71a0faa251c5e15

OP note: Bogart never imagined the movie would be a success, an urban legend about Reagan being asked to play his part has been proven wrong in certain years, the studio thought of Bogart from the beginning.  The myth of sacrifice runs all over the film, and was perceived by the audience during a wartime period of uncertain end. Can we relate our experience during Covid-19 to fight WW2? Unfortunately some do...

Edited by marylander1940

• marylander1940 changed the title to Casablanca’ at 80 still has much to teach us about sacrifice.

I've been quoting (often misquoting) lines from Casablanca for the last 50 years.  I even retained a laserdisc copy of it although I haven't owned a laserdisc player in more than 20 years.  When I found out yesterday that it was streaming on HBOmax I had to watch it again.  The café scenes are so well staged that I had not remembered the Paris scenes that are so central to the plot.  Nor do I remember being so engaged by the acting.  I may watch it a few more times to correct my quotes and savor this wonder film.

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/10/2022 at 1:38 PM, g56whiz said:

I've been quoting (often misquoting) lines from Casablanca for the last 50 years.  I even retained a laserdisc copy of it although I haven't owned a laserdisc player in more than 20 years.  When I found out yesterday that it was streaming on HBOmax I had to watch it again.  The café scenes are so well staged that I had not remembered the Paris scenes that are so central to the plot.  Nor do I remember being so engaged by the acting.  I may watch it a few more times to correct my quotes and savor this wonder film.

I talked to someone recently who had just seen "Casablanca" & didn't understand why it's a classic.  I told him that I couldn't explain it to him; he'd have to figure it out for himself.  I didn't get it either the first 2 times I saw it.  The third time I bawled like a baby, and every time since.