Info on Obama's Train Car

ArVaGuy
This topic is 5574 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Here's some info on the private rail car for Obama's train ride.

http://thechronicleherald.ca/News/9010340.html

Train is first-class all the way

By BRIAN WITTE The Associated Press

Sat. Jan 17 - 6:54 AM

ANNAPOLIS, Md. — The rail car that president-elect Barack Obama will ride to Washington for his inaugura­tion contains the trappings of a fine ho­tel or yacht, with painted walls, cherry wood, brass Pullman lamps and mod­ern amenities for a comfortable ride.

The Georgia 300, a shiny blue car built in 1930, can hold six to eight peo­ple comfortably for Saturday’s ride from Philadelphia. The leased car is plush and upholstered with a kitchen and two living areas as well as a bed­room and dining room.

“It is modernized and upgraded, but it doesn’t show that," said Jack Heard, who owns the rail car. “It still displays the grandeur of the 1930s."

The car was first built by Pullman Standard for the Southern Railway, when the car was known as the General Polk and used by railroad officials.

Georgia Railroad later acquired it in 1954, and Heard, who is president of First Coach Rail Inc., bought it in 1986. It was a prized purchase for a man who recalls seeing the car as a boy in Atlan­ta. Heard has made a series of electri­cal and plumbing upgrades to the car over the years.

“It had deteriorated and I completely rebuilt it," said Heard, of Fernandina Beach, Fla.

The Georgia 300 was used as a sup­port car in 1992 by George H.W. Bush during his campaign.

“I guess they liked the car, and it was tapped again to be used for the Clinton campaign in 1996 as his personal car and it just kept on," Heard said.It also was used during Sen. John Kerry’s campaign in 2004.

Obama is already acquainted with the rail car, which he used in April on a whistle-stop tour from Philadelphia to Harrisburg, Pa.

Obama’s 217-kilometre tour from Philadelphia to Washington is meant to mirror President Abraham Lin­coln’s 1861 journey by train for his in­auguration.

Guest zipperzone

>The leased car is plush and upholstered with a

>kitchen........

Interesting, I've never seen a rail car "upholstered with a kitchen".

I though they usually upholstered with fabric or leather.

Guest ncm2169

< Obama’s 217-kilometre tour from Philadelphia to Washington is meant to mirror President Abraham Lin­coln’s 1861 journey by train for his in­auguration.

Except for the part where Abe snuck into Dodge. }(

don't forget Lincoln's disguise switching trains in Baltimore, a lot of people accused him of wearing a dress, but he did wear a "floppy" hat covering his face, but with his build and heighth, not sure if it helped.

I wonder if any one other than you, of course, thinks you're funny.

I suggest you upholster over your mouth until you have something worthwhile to say.

>I wonder if any one other than you, of course, thinks you're

>funny.

>I suggest you upholster over your mouth until you have

>something worthwhile to say.

Were the above comments NECESSARY? How did they lend themselves to this post?

I read the man's response and scrolled down to the next one which I thought would be germane to the initial thread! Apparently your words were not!

Why not try to be kind and productive in 2009 during these very, very, very, very difficult times of ours! I really feel for those businesses which have had to close as well as the 1000s of individuals who have lost their jobs, their livelihood!

Now- for me- let me just say that I watched the trip and stops on CNN as well as C-span2; I was moved at several intervals. ...can't wait to go to the local university and view the Inauguration on next Tuesday!

I send thanks to the originator of this thread. ...enjoyed reading the specifics!!

The thing that YOU HAVE TO GIVE OBAMA> For a CHANGE, we are feeling GOOD and SUPPORTIVE about AMERICA. ALL of AMERICA!!! We are NOT PLAYING CLIQUES and SIDES. This is being a REAL PATRIOT. I think he is OVER PACKAGED but I will feel SAD when the KNIVES start coming out against him.

The world did CHANGE with him becoming President. Ask any teacher who has a minority student in a class. They see a DIFFERENT TOMORROW within their grasp.

Guest MickeyMoosie

>The thing that YOU HAVE TO GIVE OBAMA> For a CHANGE, we

>are feeling GOOD and SUPPORTIVE about AMERICA. ALL of

>AMERICA!!! We are NOT PLAYING CLIQUES and SIDES. This is

>being a REAL PATRIOT. I think he is OVER PACKAGED but I will

>feel SAD when the KNIVES start coming out against him.

>

>The world did CHANGE with him becoming President. Ask any

>teacher who has a minority student in a class. They see a

>DIFFERENT TOMORROW within their grasp.

At the risky of appearing snarky........

What is your fixation with CAPS?

I'm honestly not being nasty - it fascinates me on a perverse level.

Why do you type like that?

I envy Obama getting to ride in the Georgia 300.

Private rail car is the ultimate way to travel. I would say that even if I wasn't a bit of a rail fan, no I'm not an actual foamer.

Well even if I never get to ride in the Georgia 300 I've still got some good rail memories. The first times I really enjoyed giving and receiving blow jobs was in a rail car. And I've since had some great times from 3 ways to just a good wank on rails accross the U.S., Mexico, Europe, Asia and even the Trans-Siberian.

Ahhh nothing like the coziness of a coal heated car to make one want to snuggle while passing Lake Baikal. It's like a 5 and a half (7 on the longer route) day long slumber party.

Gosh I hope Obama helps push lead the U.S. towards improving our passenger rail system.

Raul

http://daddysreviews.com/finder.php?who=raul_g_chicago

Archived