Search within thread?

wDarling
This topic is 872 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I've been able to search within a thread like this,  

Open the thread you want to search (click on it within the sub-forum listing)
Enter a search keyword into the Search window
Click on "More Options" (under the "SEARCH IN" drop down list)
Click on "This Topic"
Click on the search Icon

My experience is that search only returns instances of the keyword within that thread. 

Which search window are you referring to? When I’m in a thread there’s a magnifying glass icon at the top of the page that just goes to www.companyofmen.org/search , and that page isn’t aware of what thread I was looking at.

What you described sounds like the way this forum used to work. Are you still using the old version somehow? Can you post a screenshot?

21 minutes ago, capthook said:

Which search window are you referring to? When I’m in a thread there’s a magnifying glass icon at the top of the page that just goes to www.companyofmen.org/search , and that page isn’t aware of what thread I was looking at.

What you described sounds like the way this forum used to work. Are you still using the old version somehow? Can you post a screenshot?

I think he was referring to the search window (a small dialogue box with a magnifying glass in it) that is on the computer version of the forum. If you click in that a long menu that includes a 'in this topic' option drops down. Your description matches what I see on my mobile which doesn't seem to include that option in the drop down menu from the magnifying glass there.

8 hours ago, mike carey said:

I think he was referring to the search window (a small dialogue box with a magnifying glass in it) that is on the computer version of the forum. If you click in that a long menu that includes a 'in this topic' option drops down. Your description matches what I see on my mobile which doesn't seem to include that option in the drop down menu from the magnifying glass there.

Thanks Mike. You are correct. I just logged into the forum from my phone and see that the search options are not that same as logging in from my PC. Sorry Capthook, any chance you can use a PC to do your search?

I am on an iPad, and just noticed if I turn the iPad in landscape mode, the magnifying icon turns into a search box with extra options when I tap on it. So I can see what you see in landscape mode.

So strange that that they just outright remove functionality for the mobile view. Just because I’m on a portrait iPad or phone doesn’t mean I want to search within a thread any less than if I was on a PC. If anything, I would want a better search moreso on a mobile device since I wouldn’t want to spend as much time scrolling through pages of posts on a smaller device.