Caroline, or Change, Studio 54 (Broadway)

This topic is 886 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/10/27/theater/caroline-or-change-review.html

Like Jesse Green, I found this show to be an incredible piece of theatre. 

It's sad, joyous, celebratory and poignant, all wrapped up in a story that- much like real life- leaves a lot of loose ends and unresolved endings.

The music is an eclectic mash up of doo-wop, '50s girl group, traditional musical theatre and even opera.  The voices are just spectacular.  The cast are veterans who handle the material with respect, maturity and ease.

8x a week, Sharon D Clarke as Caroline is giving a masterclass in highly-nuanced acting.  She's listening to everything, reacting, at all times and it's electric to watch.  The weight of the world sits squarely on her back and you can literally see it throughout the production.

This is a limited run.  Catch it if you can.  Tony Kushner and Jeanine Tesori have created a beautiful show.

Edited by Benjamin_Nicholas

• 2 weeks later...

I saw the play today and am in total agreement with everything Benjamin said. I first saw the play in 2004. Happy to say it was just as wonderful the second time around. For those that qualify I highly recommend Theater Development Fund. It’s worth the annual fee. I think it’s now $40. I got a 6th row orchestra seat on the aisle for $61. Pretty cheap by Broadway prices. You never know where you’ll be sitting until you pick up your ticket at the box office about an hour before curtain. More often than not I’ve had a really good seat at a big discount.