Masseur's Vaccination Status

LA Guy
This topic is 935 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I haven't been to a masseur yet since Covid shut everything down. I got vaccinated several months ago and I've followed the guidelines pretty rigorously for more than 18 months now.

The science has been updating as we get more data so it's a bit of a moving target, but generally I have made a rule for myself that I only go indoors when everyone is masked and/or when everyone has proven that they are vaccinated (or shown a recent negative test). So I go to stores when everyone's masked, I go to the theatre or concerts when everyone has proven vaccination and is masked, I have eaten outdoors at restaurants with vaccinated friends, I have been indoors unmasked when it's just me and a small number of friends who I know are all vaccinated and who have taken regular precautions, etc.

I'm not sure how I feel about going to a masseur. I'd like to only get massages from vaccinated providers. I know that being vaccinated means that I'm unlikely to develop severe symptoms even if I get a breakthrough infection, but I'd rather not get Covid at all. And getting a massage is a pretty intimate experience with close physical proximity for a long period.

I'm curious how others have handled this. Do you ask a potential masseur their vaccination status? Some masseurs indicate that they have been vaccinated in their ads, but others don't mention it. Do you ask for them to show proof or take them at their word? And do you remain masked and/or request that they stay masked, or not?

I'm not looking for opinions about the Covid protocols I'm following. I have read a lot about the virus and I'm comfortable (at the moment) with the guidelines I'm choosing to follow. I'm really just looking for opinions on how to proceed in the narrow and unique circumstances of getting a massage.

Thanks.

Edited by LA Guy

I think it all comes down to what level of risk you’re willing to take on. 

I live in SF where masking and showing proof of vaccination is commonplace and where infection rates are extremely low so I feel comfortable taking on the risk. I would feel differently if I was booking a massage in say Florida. 

I ask providers to show proof of vaccination and all have done so happily.