Latest Gay Detective Novel By Michael Nava

Lucky
This topic is 941 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

The series that gay author Michael Nava has created featuring criminal defense attorney Henry Rios came out this spring, but I just discovered it. Lies With Man is,  I believe, the eighth in the series, and I have read and enjoyed them all. The latest is about an initiative on the California ballot in 1986 to quarantine people with HIV, one strongly supported by the Christian right. Rios represents a gay man accused of bombing an evangelical church and killing the pastor.

It's a good novel that takes us back to an era I had pretty much forgotten. Nava does a good job of creating characters, and his plot is pretty steady. In the course of the novel, Rios is given a love interest, a cute younger man, Josh. It makes for a nice subplot. There's also a hunky bad guy with a nine inch penis, if that sort of thing interests you!

If you like gay-themed novels, the Rios series is pretty good. Nava himself seems like an interesting man. His bio says he lives in San Francisco and Palm Springs, but I have never encountered him.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, this thread really took me down memory lane.  I remember reading Nava's first book A Little Death 35 years ago.  I was quite inspired by it because the protagonist was a detective first and foremost, who oh by the way was gay.  At the time, the few gay characters portrayed in TV & movies were too often tragic or tortured figures.  And here is Henry Rios, normal (gay) guy who kicks some ass doing a tough guy job.

I lived around the corner from A Different Light bookstore in my NYC days and read tons of gay literature.  Even though I lived walking distance from the gay bookstore in Boston (forgot what it was called), I never got back into the habit.  It's great to know that Michael Nava wrote 7 more Henry Rios books and even reworked The Little Death.

I'll have to see if the Clark County Library has any of the series.  I hope they do 1) so I can save money and 2) so I can avoid buying them from Amazon, which killed the gay bookstore (well, every bookstore).  Thank you @Lucky for starting this thread.  I would have completely forgotten about Michael Nava otherwise. 

On 9/14/2021 at 10:53 PM, Lucky said:

The series that gay author Michael Nava has created featuring criminal defense attorney Henry Rios came out this spring, but I just discovered it. Lies With Man is,  I believe, the eighth in the series, and I have read and enjoyed them all. The latest is about an initiative on the California ballot in 1986 to quarantine people with HIV, one strongly supported by the Christian right. Rios represents a gay man accused of bombing an evangelical church and killing the pastor.

It's a good novel that takes us back to an era I had pretty much forgotten. Nava does a good job of creating characters, and his plot is pretty steady. In the course of the novel, Rios is given a love interest, a cute younger man, Josh. It makes for a nice subplot. There's also a hunky bad guy with a nine inch penis, if that sort of thing interests you!

If you like gay-themed novels, the Rios series is pretty good. Nava himself seems like an interesting man. His bio says he lives in San Francisco and Palm Springs, but I have never encountered him.

"era I had pretty much forgotten,"

Come on, it wasn't that long ago,@Lucky. Jeez