Watch this.

Rick Munroe
This topic is 5681 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest TBinCHI

>What is your different approach? Specifically, I mean. What

>exactly do you plan to do instead of forwarding this video?

At first when I read this exchange I thought that both of you had pretty good points. But, when I thought about it for awhile, I have to say that if someone is going to be turned off of our cause because of who the messenger is, we have to redouble our efforts to get them to see beyond the messenger, not to find a different one. And the only way that I can think of to do that is to forward the unbelievably poignant message sent from the heart of the unacceptable messenger and challenge people to listen to both. I think that this is exactly the lesson to be learned from the moron, I mean Mormon, church in its efforts to pass Prop 8. They challenged, albeit through misinformation, those who would otherwise not have listened or not have cared. To use a different messenger just because that messenger is controversial or polarizing is an acceptance of defeat from the start. So, I say right on Rick and right on Olbermann. Let's challenge the haters and the narrow-minded to respond to the points made by the controversial messenger and see what they have to say. Just a thought.

Would that approach work for you? If someone sent you the opposition position from a Falwell-like character, you would listen and give it equal consideration? Not sure I would. I may listen to be informed of the opposite view, but it would probably put me in a defensive mood from the get go. Maybe it's just me.

>So, I say right on Rick and right on Olbermann.

>Let's challenge the haters and the narrow-minded to respond to

>the points made by the controversial messenger and see what

>they have to say. Just a thought.

You know, until this thread, I really didn't know he was controversial or polarizing. I don't watch TV, so I'm admittedly not up on these things, but I thought he was pretty popular and had great ratings. But then again, I guess so does O'Reilly. :p

PWIT, you still haven't offered any alternatives. I mean, RockHard posted the list of businesses to avoid, Greg and I posted info about the protests, and Joseph and I offered this video. This is a group effort. Instead of telling us what you think we shouldn't do, why don't you suggest things you think we should do that you think will be effective? "Don't send the Olbermann video" isn't really enough.

Guest TBinCHI

>Would that approach work for you? If someone sent you the

>opposition position from a Falwell-like character, you would

>listen and give it equal consideration? Not sure I would. I

>may listen to be informed of the opposite view, but it would

>probably put me in a defensive mood from the get go. Maybe

>it's just me.

>

Yes. I listened to Sarah Palin despite the fact that her idiocy made my skin crawl. She didn't change my mind, but I at least made myself listen to her messages because I knew that others took her seriously. I still think that even though Olbermann may polarize people, those who listen to his message will have to rationalize his points. So, again, I say forward it and challenge people to respond to his substance and not his persona.

Archived