Sprint Loses A Million Customers In 3 Months

Lucky
This topic is 5618 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I remember being a Sprint customer years ago, and I was appalled at the bad customer service they offered. Apparently it hasn't gotten better as this paragraph from the Wall Street Journal yesterday shows:

"The company lost 1.3 million more customers than it added in the quarter, ending September with 50.5 million users. It has fallen well behind rivals AT&T Inc. and Verizon Wireless, which have 74.9 million and 70.8 million subscribers, respectively. Sprint said it expected subscriber levels to stabilize somewhat in the fourth quarter."

My last fight with Sprint was about 4 years ago. I had paid my bill, but they didn't enter the payment on my record. It took months to straighten out, but I finally won. Or so I thought. Last week, four years later, a collection agency hit me up for that last payment.

Sprint was one of the worst customer service experiences I've ever had dealing with a phone company. Besides the dropped calls the billing was the absolute worst of any major carrier. Payments never applied, mysterious charges, and all kinds of issues. This was in the mid 1990's and I swore I'd never do business with them again.

Years after I dumped the service, I got a notice in the mail from US District Court informing me that I was part of a group of customers who had been over billed and was due a refund as part of a class action lawsuit. Months after that I got a check for someting like $20 for fees that were impropperly allocated.

The merger with Nextel has proven to be one of the worst business decisions of this decade. Don't be surprised when this company files bankruptcy. A company can't bleed customers like this one and continue to operate.

Though I will give them credit for their old commercials that ran a few years back. The Sprint Guy commercials were clever, well written and entertaining. I'll confess to a bit of a crush on the Sprint Guy spokesman as well. He could ring me up any time. :-)

Archived