Frequent Flier Frustration

Lucky
This topic is 5636 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

As I posted in the SA forum, I am having a bitch of a time trying to use ff miles for Brazil next summer (winter!). So I tried Europe, going in to either Paris or London. Well, they have changed Delta's miles level to a three-tiered system. And guess what? The lower tier is NEVER available. So our ff miles have been seriously devalued. The taxes on a Europe flight are almost $300 as well.

After all of that, I tried Bangkok and actually got selections for dates at a lower tier. But when I clicked "continue" the dates were suddenly no longer available. All this time I am seeing pop-ups telling me how wonderful the new three-tiered system is to make it easier for me to get the dates I want. Ha! I need a sugar daddy!

try calling them on the phone.

I have had great luck with the United FF program but only when I call and speak to an agent. The agents have access to everything including partner flights and the website doesn't. I will be flying business class on ANA for the second year in a row on a trip to SE Asia next month. I have also managed to get some rather complicated itineraries in the past by calling. Sometimes it takes a day for the flights to clear if it is a combination of several airlines.

All the Brazil stuff WAS done on the phone.

Unrelated, the LA Times has pix of the Airbus 380 that landed at LAX today. It's the biggest plane of all, but 5 middle seats! I would go nuts in the middle of the middle seats.

I really don't understand what's better about bigger planes. The bigger the plane, the more time it takes to load it, to unload it, for the passengers to get their luggage, etc. The likelihood of a window seat also goes down. Give me a 757 any day.

A couple of new items worth mentioning on this thread.

First, with the price of oil going down, airlines are still charging the same fuel surcharge as they did at the height of the oil price crisis. A US Senator wants to investigate.

Second, it was recently announced that there will be fewer direct flights this holiday season, therefore if for any reason your flight is cancelled or delayed, the chances of making a connecting flight are severly decreased.

Third, Continental has announced new restrictions on carry-ons.

Effective November 1, 2008, Continental’s carry-on baggage requirement will be reduced from 51 linear inches/130cm to 45 linear inches/115cm (9”x14”x22”/23x36x56cm) system wide. To support this change and manage carry-on baggage compliance due to the new checked baggage fees, new luggage sizing boxes will be available at all domestic locations. The sizing boxes will assist customers in determining if their bags abide by Continental’s new carry-on policy. Whether they aggressively police this policy is another matter. I would expect other airlines to announce similar restrictions. It amazes me what some people will try to bring on a plane!

Finally, it is becoming more difficult to acquire frequent flyer tickets these days. It was recently reported that many airlines have instituted significant surcharges for frequent flyer tickets to many destinations, Rio being one.

ED

Guest msclonly

Flying as we used to know it is over!

We have to get used to it as much as we dislike it

Award seats should be available at twice the number of miles.

Or is that a problem now, as well!

}( }( }(

>Flying as we used to know it is over!

>We have to get used to it as much as we dislike it

People said the same thing in 1979 when deregulation first came along. It was true then and has not gotten any better.

You are welcome to thank Jimmy Carter at your earliest convenience.

Best regards,

KMEM

>>Flying as we used to know it is over!

>>We have to get used to it as much as we dislike it

>

>People said the same thing in 1979 when deregulation first

>came along. It was true then and has not gotten any better.

>

>You are welcome to thank Jimmy Carter at your earliest

>convenience.

>

>Best regards,

>KMEM

Let's also thank Mr. Alfred Khan who concocted this scheme to begin with and left us this legacy.

In re the investigation over fuel surcharges, here we go again. Congress meddling where it has no real effect in doing such. Oh it will look nice for the public that Senator so-and-so is "looking into" or "doing something" about these mean old airlines and their alleged price gouging but in the end this investigation will go no where and likely do more harm than good for the industry.

I'd have to double check but I hazard a guess that Continental is bringing its carry on policy into alignment with United and the Star Alliance. Continental will become (or already has) a part of the alliance in January if memory serves correct.

I'm of two minds about carry on policies. When it's my bag I don't want it enforced at all and when it’s the other guy's bag I want the airline to strictly enforce the policy so I can get more storage space. :+

I'M GOING TO EUROPE!

AHH frustration relieved. I feel like I just came.

I called Delta again, they got me a BUSINESS class ticket to Paris, flying back from Edinburgh with a night in New York next August. I know all the Parisians will be gone when I get to Paris, but I don't care. I like it that way. I'm going for the sites, not the people.

The I Chunnel it to London for some theater and end up in Edinburgh for some very expensive nights at the Edinburgh Festival.

The taxes and fees? $340!!!!!!!!!!Now I hope Charlie can watch the dogs...:)

AVG-

Do you think the airlines got it backwards? If they charged for carry on luggage and let you check one for free, would that help the cabin clutter?

Lucky-

Apparently DL was ready when you were. Going is the point, isn't it, so long as the price is right?

Best regards,

KMEM

RE: I'M GOING TO EUROPE!

congrats. I have also found that if the first person you talk to can't or won't get you what you want you have to keep trying and hope you get a better agent.

the reason they are not charging for carry-ons and are charging for checked bags is that they have to pay baggage handlers to deal with the checked bags while you schelp your own carry on. The airline managers don't care about clutter and frustration in the cabin. They care about the bottom line. And they leave their poor, poorly-paid frontline personnel to deal with the angry customers.

Archived