Greater COVID Risk to HIV+ and Over 65

Lucky
This topic is 1036 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

The NY Times reports on a study of people with HIV getting COVID.

" Nearly half of H.I.V.-infected men older than 65 who are hospitalized for Covid-19 may die, the study found."

"The result contradicts findings from several smaller studies earlier in the pandemic that suggested that H.I.V. infection has no bearing on a person’s risk of severe illness or death from the coronavirus. But the new study is more biologically plausible than that earlier research, given H.I.V.’s ability to disrupt immune defenses, experts said."

The study appears to be among unvaccinated people and does not address the risks for those who get vaccinated.

The moral of the story is Get vaccinated!

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/07/15/health/covid-hiv-risk-study.html?action=click&module=Well&pgtype=Homepage&section=Health

Edited by Lucky
edit

2 hours ago, Lucky said:

The NY Times reports on a study of people with HIV getting COVID.

" Nearly half of H.I.V.-infected men older than 65 who are hospitalized for Covid-19 may die, the study found."

"The result contradicts findings from several smaller studies earlier in the pandemic that suggested that H.I.V. infection has no bearing on a person’s risk of severe illness or death from the coronavirus. But the new study is more biologically plausible than that earlier research, given H.I.V.’s ability to disrupt immune defenses, experts said."

The study appears to be among unvaccinated people and does not address the risks for those who get vaccinated.

The moral of the story is Get vaccinated!

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/07/15/health/covid-hiv-risk-study.html?action=click&module=Well&pgtype=Homepage&section=Health

Now with the stories of Delta, and vaxed people getting it,  those with vaccine hesitancy are even more reluctant, especially if they are listening to Fox and other outlets of its ilk....Their consensus is "what's the fucking point ".....    And I doubt ANYONE will change ANY minds....