This is important.

RockHard
This topic is 5656 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

From the Bay Area Reporter, 09/11/2008:

Feinstein's fellow senator, Barbara Boxer (D), came out against Prop 8 a month ago.

In an August 11 letter to Dale Kelly Bankhead, No on 8 campaign manager, Boxer wrote, "I am pleased to endorse the No on Proposition 8 campaign to promote equality and fairness for all Californians.

"Proposition 8 is a mean-spirited effort which will hurt so many Californians. I urge my fellow Californians to vote no on Proposition 8," Boxer added.

Pelosi Statement on California State Supreme Court Ruling on Gay Marriage, Thursday, May 15, 2008

Washington, D.C. – Speaker Nancy Pelosi released the following statement in reaction to the California Supreme Court’s decision today to strike the state ban on gay marriage:

“I welcome the California Supreme Court’s historic decision. I have long fought against discrimination and believe that the State Constitution provides for equal treatment for all of California’s citizens and families, which today’s decision recognizes.

“I commend the plaintiffs from San Francisco for their courage and commitment. I encourage California citizens to respect the Court’s decision, and I continue to strongly oppose any ballot measure that would write discrimination into the State Constitution.

“Today is a significant milestone for which all Californians can take pride.”

From the Bay Area Reporter, 09/11/2008:

"In her letter, Pelosi stated that she "stands with" the (Harvey Milk LGBT) club in its fight to defeat Proposition 8, the anti-gay marriage amendment on California's November ballot, and that "ending discrimination against the LGBT community has been and will continue to be a top priority."

From the Washington Blade, 10/22/2008

U.S. House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, who represents San Francisco in Congress, has also been absent from television ads.

Drew Hammill, a Pelosi spokesperson, said campaign finance laws preclude Pelosi from making television ads against Proposition 8 because she is on the ballot this fall.

But Pelosi’s campaign on Saturday donated $10,000 to efforts opposing Prop 8, and Hammill said Pelosi is encouraging other lawmakers to make similar donations and gave her district director leave to work on the “No on 8” campaign.

Later this month, Pelosi is scheduled to appear at a “get out the vote” event against Proposition 8 in San Francisco.

But no mention of Proposition 8 in Pelosi's latest campaign mailer. Looks like she's on our side, but she's not sticking her head too far out of the foxhole.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

sort of what i thought it would be. senator boxer gives us support in a press release but nothing about donations, TV support or going to events.

senator feinstein is starting to do things; hope it is not too late,

nancy pelosi gives a drop in the bucket of the funds she has available; attends no rallies or public events to build support; does not do ads besides TV that she can not do.

sort of tepid support. what if gays gave them that type of support? with friends like these???

this is a defining moment for gays and these people should go all out.

> this is a defining moment for gays and these people should go all out.

It would feel good if they did, especially the money part. But the people who listen to Boxer, Feinstein, and Pelosi are probably already against Proposition 8. Those people who are inclined to support it may not be moved by anything Pelosi has to say.

Now Schwarzenegger, on the other hand! That's some muscle we could use. He stated his opposition early on, but hasn't been heard from lately. Guess he's too busy stumping for McCain.

Apple stepped up today. From their website:

No on Prop 8

October 24, 2008

Apple is publicly opposing Proposition 8 and making a donation of $100,000 to the No on 8 campaign. Apple was among the first California companies to offer equal rights and benefits to our employees’ same-sex partners, and we strongly believe that a person’s fundamental rights — including the right to marry — should not be affected by their sexual orientation. Apple views this as a civil rights issue, rather than just a political issue, and is therefore speaking out publicly against Proposition 8.

http://www.apple.com/hotnews/

RE: Google is on board too!

I am EXTREMELY pleased to report that an orginization to which I belonged, for many years, is thus far the single largest contributor to the NO on 8 campaign - THE CALIFORNIA TEACHERS ASSOCIATION - $1,300,000.00. Now those are the kind of dollars that definitely can make a difference

Archived