411 on Verizon 8830 Blackberry World Phone

ArVaGuy
This topic is 5733 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

As much as I hate to join this cult of the "Crackberry" business and personal matters are beginning to push me to obtain this device. I'm currently with Verizon and have had absolutely no issues with them in the seven years of using their service. Decent coverage throughout North America and not too bad in certain parts of Mexico. My current configuration allows me to place international calls while stateside and receive some in certain parts of Mexico. I just can't dial out while in country.

Normally, with my international business travel I've just rented an in country phone through our local office. This has worked pretty well but can be a bit convoluted at times. But a recent family emergency while in Ecuador is making me reconsider my telecommunication options.

My uncle died while I was on a mountain 4,000 meters above sea level just outside of Quito. Family was unable to reach me via the local cell number I provided them and my regular number (obviously). I finally got word at 2 AM local time routed through a friend of mine who was able to reach me while he was on business travel in Germany. Yep, it was via his Blackberry 8830.

Rather than obtaining the device through my company, I'm going to sign up for a personal plan. The reason I chose not to go through my company is that I'd have to have work e-mail 24/7 on the device and be tethered to the office even more than I am now. By going with the personal plan I have the choice of deciding when and for how long my office e-mail will be linked to the Blackberry. I'll be reimbursed for the usage when on business travel. Even with that the cost of my wireless services will increase about 60% per month with the service plan and taxes.

Since there are a number of world travelers on this board I'm curious to know of your experience with international PDA's. Anyone with Verizon's international service please let me know the pluses and minuses. I've considered ATT's service which is supposedly better but when I had ATT my billing issues were a nightmare. Also, they don't have as many "bars in more places" as they claim based on feedback from colleagues.

I'm going to pull the trigger on this decision by the weekend. I'd really appreciate any feed back from anyone who's got experience with international travel and use of these devices. Any tough questions to ask the sales people at the Verizon store about the product? What do I need to look out for related to setting up the options? Thanks in advance.

I and all my employees use AT&T for our Blackberry service and the international service is excellent - no problems at all sending, receiving emails/txts & making/getting calls all over Europe, Middle East and South America.

If you're thinking of a Blackberry wait another week or so for The Blackberry Bold to arrive in the US from ATT - well worth the wait.

Have considered the Bold since it's the same as Thunder about to be released by Verizon later this month as well. But Cingular really screwed up my billing a few years back so that horrible memory carries over to ATT for me. The staff of my organization get sent to some really remote places thus the complaints about coverage. But being unreachable is not really such a bad thing when it's office related. It's the family being able to reach me which is the higher priority.

Guest ryan2552

>

>Have considered the Bold since it's the same as Thunder about

>to be released by Verizon later this month as well. But

>Cingular really screwed up my billing a few years back so that

>horrible memory carries over to ATT for me. The staff of my

>organization get sent to some really remote places thus the

>complaints about coverage. But being unreachable is not really

>such a bad thing when it's office related. It's the family

>being able to reach me which is the higher priority.

First the Bold and Thunder AKA Storm are very different phones. The Thunder ? Storm will be the first Blackberry device to offer a touchscreen. The Bold is an exceptional phone but just when ATT will release it is up in the air.

I don't like the VZW 8830. Its a CDMA phone that you will need to swap GSM SIM cards depending on what country you're in. Also the O/S on the 8830 is no longer in production at RIM.

I suggest a GSM phone, as you will need to change SIM cards anyway. I like TMOBILE a lot. Its one of the largest worldwide mobile carriers. T-MO has the first Android phone coming in approx. 10 days. It is expected to ship 750,000 units a true iphone rival. The name isn't clear yet but it will be the G1 or the Dream. They also are about the release the first Blackberry clam shell phone which is really sweet. I believe it will be released in about 2 weeks. T-MO also has exceptional customer service.

Regardless of who you chose remember that you will need to be very cautious about the carriers international plans. Always ask about roaming, in and out calls, MMS and SMS message PLUS if you're using a Blackberry ask about email fees.

Archived