Mark Spitz

Karl-G
This topic is 5706 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Mark Spitz, whose name is much noted in the media these days, claims he is being snubbed by the IOC, NBC, and FINA, none of whom invited him to Beijing nor offered to pay his expenses.

Does anyone know why? He is in Hong Kong (China), so he is very close to Beijing. Why is he there?

Does the IOC or NBC or FINA pay expenses for many people other than current athletes? Former athletes? Parents? In-laws? Coaches? Baby-sitters? Significant others? Masseurs?

Michael Phelps, Aaron Peirsol, and the Chinese gymnasts were spectacular last night.

"I never got invited. You don't go to the Olympics just to say, I am going to go. Especially because of who I am," Spitz told AFP in Hong Kong.

"I am going to sit there and watch Michael Phelps break my record anonymously? That's almost demeaning to me. It is not almost—it is."

Nothing wrong with cheering for the athletes from the stands Mr. Spitz.

Sounds a little self-centered to me.

I first met Mark Spitz and his family at the 1972 United States Olympic Swim Trials which were held in the old Swim Stadium at the Los Angeles Coliseum. At the time I was a high school assistant swim coach and the head coach and I reserved box seats for the entire trials. Unfortunately we ended up sharing a box with the Spitz family. It was truly an experience from hell. The entire family was obnoxious, overbearing, and unpleasant. Spitz came across as the most one dimensional human being I have ever met in my life. I have been around a lot of swimmers over the years and most are bright, articulate, and funny. Mark Spitz exhibited none of these qualities. His entire life was focused on himself. Ego is to be expected in a great athlete BUT if that athlete is to go on to a productive life he or she must have more than just ego. Since his incredible performance in the 1972 Olympic Mark Spitz has gone on to accomplish nothing. His life has been a constant litany of complaint about not being appreciated, not being admired, and not being respected. Over the years the international and national swim worlds have distanced themselves from Spitz simply because he has become an obnoxious, overbearing, bitter aging man who can talk about nothing but himself and the past.

He may be a little "self-centered" but he is also one of the Top 5 Greatest Olympians -- in recent poll -- and you would think that the USOC would have invited him as their guest. Common courtesy.

As for botox, has anyone seen Bruce Jenner lately? He no longer even looks human, yet alone like a man. Sort of "alienish."

>As for botox, has anyone seen Bruce Jenner lately? He no

>longer even looks human, yet alone like a man. Sort of

>"alienish."

His boyfriend John Davidson looks awfully stretched out, too.

"I'd say that's a bit of an extreme reaction, now wouldn't you?" -- N.F. Bates

Lankypeters

Guest zipperzone

>Perhaps he doesn't speak Chinese? j/k

>

>Spitz has a photo in the NY Times today...he's drawing

>"seven figures" a year as a spokesman for Botox.

Poor baby - no wonder he can't afford to pay his own way.....

Guest zipperzone

>Ariadne1880 I’m not disputing your seven figure annual income

>statement for Spitz, BUT I would sure like to know the proof

>of that number.

Read Lucky's post - he seems to know.

Hey zipperzone thanks for the referral back to Lucky's post. If the article is correct I am sincerely glad for Spitz. Immediately after the '72 Olympics he was inundated with endorsement offers as well a network commentary work but everything dried up rapidly as he just wasn't very good. He makes appearances here in Southern California at Athletic Memorabilia Expos where he shakes hands and signs autographs. My nephew ran into him, about a year ago, at a local Borders Bookstore. He was there to autograph a new book. The only problem was that my nephew was the only person present who knew who he was. I certainly do not mean to disparage his incredibly accomplishments at the ’72 Olympics BUT I do think it sad that the rest of the man's life has been spent living off those accomplishments and ONLY THOSE ACCOMPLISHMENTS.

Guest zipperzone

>I certainly do not mean to disparage his

>incredibly accomplishments at the ’72 Olympics BUT I do think

>it sad that the rest of the man's life has been spent living

>off those accomplishments and ONLY THOSE ACCOMPLISHMENTS.

But..... if the story is true, I'd say living rather well.

One can make that statement about most athletes and most people (actors, businessmen, plumbers) that they live off of one accomplishment the rest of their lives. Rare are the people who have 3rd acts and are successful at them.

Many Olympians go back to living humdrum lives, some end up in poverty, some never do anything close to that level of accomplishment again. So what? I don't think that is something to bash Mr. Spitz with.

By almost any measurement his life has been a success.

The full article is in the business section. Here's is what I was referring to:

"Mr. Morgenstein of Premier Management, who arranged Mr. Spitz’s work for Botox, said he was not concerned about negative implications. His client, he said, “had the opportunity to use their product successfully.”

“By the end of the year, Spitz is going to make seven figures,” Mr. Morgenstein said. That is impressive, he added, considering “your best day at work was 36 years ago.”

Kind of a crude remark from your manager!

Archived