"Where The River Ends"

imagooddog
This topic is 5761 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I just finished this latest book by Charles Martin, "Where the River Ends". I love the way this guy writes, really presents good and

meaningful descriptions of the characters and locations.

Summary: Excellent and well worth a read

Had also read two of his other books which I really enjoyed.

"When Crickets Cry" and "Chasing Fireflies". Highly recommend

them also.

Thanks for the info,as I am always on the lookout for a good book. But when I read the Publishers Weekly summary review, they compare him to Nicholas Sparks, who I think tends to be a bit trite. But, I will take a look at this at the bookstore.

Publishers Weekly

In this sentimental story about a terminal cancer patient's demise, Martin (When Crickets Cry) examines the lengths to which a loving husband will go for his dying wife. Doss Michaels, a portrait painter with a "trailer trash" background, marries Charleston, S.C., debutante Abbie Eliot Coleman, raised primarily by her demanding U.S. senator father after her mother died of ovarian cancer when Abbie was two. A decade after Abbie and Doss's marriage, her father and stepmother will still have little to do with Doss. Abbie develops breast cancer that later metastasizes to her brain, and tensions rise when Abbie's parents want her to spend her last days with them. But Doss and Abbie, armed with Abbie's top 10 wish list and fistfuls of medication, begin a 129-mile river journey from the small town of Moniac, Ga., on the St. Mary River out to the ocean. Martin brings to life the varying flora and fauna of this often fraught journey, while he captures the singular atmosphere of life on a changeable river as it traverses through varying Georgian and Floridian terrain. In the tradition of Nicholas Sparks and Robert James Waller, Martin has fashioned a heartbreaking story. (July)

Archived