Ian in WPB

DaveLat1

• 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...

OK, this is progress, but I still don't get why the price of additional 30 minutes in his studio would be $100 and only $60 at the client's place.  Moreover, I will never understand why 90 minutes should be more than 50% more expensive that 60 minutes. That just doesn't make sense, you'd expect it to be 50% and most likely a little less. Could indeed be math education 🙂

image.png.32cde35b7c5c12de37cea3f9e2c19f65.png

20 hours ago, Capitano said:

Moreover, I will never understand why 90 minutes should be more than 50% more expensive that 60 minutes. That just doesn't make sense, you'd expect it to be 50% and most likely a little less.

A masseur once told me that a longer session takes more energy and leaves him more tired. (His charges were in line with your expectation; he was explaining why he didn't do 2-hour sessions.)

6 hours ago, newatthis said:

A masseur once told me that a longer session takes more energy and leaves him more tired. (His charges were in line with your expectation; he was explaining why he didn't do 2-hour sessions.)

That IS a valid reason. However, those who don't find it tiring save on the setup time, cleaning, communication, etc. Another aspect is that, especially in the long run, offering longer sessions allows one to establish a less price sensitive client base.

I remember a conversation with one of my favorite masseurs with whom I do 90 minutes whenever I am in NYC (been a while, though). He once told me that 2 hours was too difficult and my answer was along the lines of "I can see why, you are unique in that you work hard every second of our 90 minutes. That is NOT necessary or expected. It's OK to slow down and just gently touch me at times. In fact, it's a huge turn-on and completes the massage as a holistic experience."

Also, my experience has been that trained masseurs usually like 90-minute sessions, but, then again, I am sure there are exceptions.

The search for the right pricing model continues!  I like where he is going with the pricing for 60 minutes, but his prices for 90 minutes are even more off. To charge $120 for additional 30 minutes at his place just doesn't make sense in my book, especially if the same is $100 for outcalls.

image.png.1d3f51d5b65370b4c4858da97d03723f.png

• 3 weeks later...

OK, almost there! 🙂

Although I still don't understand why 30 additional minutes at his place are more expensive than the prior 60 minutes. 😉

Here is a sensible pricing scheme if one's hourly rate is X and the charge to go to a client's place is Y:

One hour incall: X

90 minutes incall: AT MOST 1.5*X, although a little discount would be nice if the masseur doesn't find longer appointments particularly exhausting.

One hour outcall: X + Y

90 minutes outcall: AT MOST 1.5*X + Y, although a little discount wold be nice.

image.png.49cb630f267e54525f393c057288e054.png

4 hours ago, Capitano said:

OK, almost there! 🙂

Although I still don't understand why 30 additional minutes at his place are more expensive than the prior 60 minutes. 😉

Here is a sensible pricing scheme if one's hourly rate is X and the charge to go to a client's place is Y:

One hour incall: X

90 minutes incall: AT MOST 1.5*X, although a little discount would be nice if the masseur doesn't find longer appointments particularly exhausting.

One hour outcall: X + Y

90 minutes outcall: AT MOST 1.5*X + Y, although a little discount wold be nice.

image.png.49cb630f267e54525f393c057288e054.png

I know a masseur who uses a similar pricing structure.  He explained it this way:  After working 9-5, he can book two one-hour appointments and still provide a good service, usually a 7:00 and a 9:00.  If someone wants a 90-minute appointment, he doesn't book the second appointment.  Thus for him to justify cutting into his business, he charges more than 1.5x his 60-minute fee for the longer session.  As a result, he almost always books one-hour appointments.

2 hours ago, sam.fitzpatrick said:

I know a masseur who uses a similar pricing structure.  He explained it this way:  After working 9-5, he can book two one-hour appointments and still provide a good service, usually a 7:00 and a 9:00.  If someone wants a 90-minute appointment, he doesn't book the second appointment.  Thus for him to justify cutting into his business, he charges more than 1.5x his 60-minute fee for the longer session.  As a result, he almost always books one-hour appointments.

Well, even if he left 15-30 minutes between the appointments, he'd end up spending 45 minutes to an hour more in order to make that extra money. With his schedule, he ends his day at 10:00 rather than 8:30, plus there is coordination and texting with two clients instead of one, cleaning etc. Of course, everyone is free to do their business whichever way they like, but one just cannot expect to make the same amount of money while getting 1 hour of time to do other things.

Scheduling one long appointment instead of two short ones results in a loss of (X+X)-1.5*X = 0.5*X. So he loses half of his hourly rate but gets an hour of free time or even more. If he values money orders of magnitude more than his time, he is doing the right thing. But if he values his time, one longer appointment starts to make sense, even if priced at 1.5*X or less.