The Great Baseball Player, Hank Aaron, has died

WilliamM
This topic is 1226 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Hammerin' Hank had a compact swing and flicked his wrists. Others did it, hit well, and won batting titles like Rod Carew and Tony Gwynn, but Aaron hit for average and power.

#3 all-time games played

#3 all-time in hits

#2 all-time in homeruns* (Braves' fans will always asterisk that record because of the Bond's controversy)

#4 all-time runs scored

#1 all-time RBIs

#1 all-time total bases

16 90+ RBI seasons

8-40+ homer seasons

7-30+ homer seasons

21-time all star

After his playing days, he was a Braves' front office executive and icon of the city. He distinguished himself in every aspect of life. Every word he spoke was thoughtful and purposeful. He kindly offered to all of us the wisdom and life lessons of a gentleman. RIP to Atlanta's greatest sports' legend.

He made a colossal mistake that almost affected the outcome of the most heartbreaking loss in baseball history:

Harvey Haddix went to the mound for what would be his unlucky 13th time. Through 12 innings he had thrown an unbelievably economical 104 pitches. He would throw only 11 more.

Mantilla led off the 13th by hitting the ball to Hoak at third. “About a five-hopper,” Haddix said. “Don picked up the ball, looked at it in his glove … and threw it in the dirt. Rocky Nelson couldn’t come up with it. Mathews bunted Mantilla to second base; I walked Aaron intentionally to set up a double play.” Joe Adcock was next. “Hung a slider on the second pitch and he hit it out in right center.”

Mantilla scored. Aaron assumed the game was over, stopped, and cut across the infield, causing Adcock to pass him. Aaron eventually went to third and scored in front of Adcock but was ruled out. Adcock was credited with a double instead of a homer. Murtaugh argued that Aaron was called out before Mantilla, who went back to tag up, had crossed the plate. Umpires huddled and ruled Mantilla safe and allowed all three runs. National League President Warren Giles overturned that decision the next day. The final score: Braves 1, Pirates 0.

Mantilla explained, “When I crossed the plate I looked up and saw Hank walking across the pitcher’s mound.” Asked if he crossed the plate in time, he said, “It was close! We were lucky to win that game.”

Hammerin' Hank had a compact swing and flicked his wrists. Others did it, hit well, and won batting titles like Rod Carew and Tony Gwynn, but Aaron hit for average and power.

#3 all-time games played

#3 all-time in hits

#2 all-time in homeruns* (Braves' fans will always asterisk that record because of the Bond's controversy)

#4 all-time runs scored

#1 all-time RBIs

#1 all-time total bases

16 90+ RBI seasons

8-40+ homer seasons

7-30+ homer seasons

21-time all star

After his playing days, he was a Braves' front office executive and icon of the city. He distinguished himself in every aspect of life. Every word he spoke was thoughtful and purposeful. He kindly offered to all of us the wisdom and life lessons of a gentleman. RIP to Atlanta's greatest sports' legend.

For me, Hank Aaron will always be the home run king. R.I.P.