Same-Sex or Trans-Gendered Weddings in VA

OneFinger
This topic is 5776 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Came across an interesting article about a couple that was wed in Virgina. Apparently the gov't "assumed" it was a heterosexual couple. Now, they are not sure if it was a same-sex or trans-gendered couple.

According to the AP:

The couple walked into a Norfolk courthouse on a spring day, exchanged a few words, and within 10 minutes, were seemingly husband and wife. It was an unremarkable ceremony — except that several weeks later, officials realized the shapely bride might not have been a woman.

Now authorities in Virginia, where same-sex marriages are illegal, are weighing whether to file misdemeanor charges against the couple. An announcement is expected this week...

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2008/06/23/national/a111234D55.DTL

The article goes on to raise a very interesting point about sexual identify. Apparently, in most states, it is entirely possible to have a birth certificate with your gender birth and a driver's license or passport in your surgical gender. To further complicate matters, your medical records could reflect you as your birth gender, your surgical gender, or both.

Lots of interesting issues.

Guest zipperzone

If you were a guy who had surgery to transform you into a woman, would it still be considered as same sex marriage if you then wanted to marry your male partner?

>The LAWS/RULES vary depending which state you are in.

From what I understand, you are totally correct. According to the article link I posted above:

[ol]If the bride was transgender, and identified as a woman, it is unclear whether the marriage would be considered illegal... Most state courts have been silent on the issue of whether marriages involving a transgender person are valid, transgender rights advocates say. Most case law involving transgender rights, meanwhile, surrounds discrimination, not marriage.[/ol]

In addition, courts are split on whether a surgical reassignment is legally acknowledged.

[ol]In 1999, a Texas court threw out a wrongful death lawsuit a transgender woman filed after the death of her husband, ruling that while the plaintiff had undergone a sex-change operation, she was actually a man and her marriage invalid. But in 2004, a Kansas court ruled in favor of a male-to-female transsexual who identified as a woman to apply for marriage.[/ol]

Prior to reading this article I "assume" a sexual reassignment would be recognized by all states. It surprised me to find out Tennessee, Ohio and Idaho do NOT change the gender on your birth certificate after a sex change. IMHO, that's just plain wrong!!

Archived