Potential cure for HIV through gene therapy given FDA green light for Phase I studies

Walker1
This topic is 1129 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Great news for 38 million people in the world living with it. From what I read in other articles they're using gene therapy (CRISPR?) so the new method circumvents the conventional belief that viruses can't be cured.

I also suppose that the speed at which a vaccine for COVID-19 was developed must have pushed some key people in the scientific community to provide answers about why it has taken so long if they achieved so much for a virus that is more tricky and virulent (airborne) than HIV.

I didn't like THIS though:

“I am confident AGT103-T will be an important step towards an eventual cure for HIV,” said AGT CEO Jeff Galvin.

He said that the cost of the treatment is around $200,000, but he believes that the price will go down as the procedure becomes more common and an automated process is developed.

However, let's hope for the best and trust that the horrors of this virus will be a thing of the past just like polio and others.

Next possible targets of gene therapy treatments: Cancer and Aging.

Edited by orville

Yes this was developed using CRISPR technology.

COVID proved to us that when you can channel the entire scientific community to focus on a specific disease, to collaborate, and throw a lot of money at it....you can accelerate the process in a quantum way. If we could harness this and attack a single disease at a time, we could probably make faster progress.

I too was troubled by the CEO's comment, I wonder if he is just being careful (until this has cleared Phases 1 & 2)? Might also be because it is not practical to scale this particular treatment....but this could lead to another way to achieve the same result? This treatment requires extracting some of a persons own blood, then modifying it over 11 days (doing gene editing of the T Cells) then infusing the blood back into the body. With the advent of PreP and HAART HIV is a much larger problem in underdeveloped countries and it's especially not practical to scale this in those places.

Here's info about the treatment: https://www.americangene.com/press-releases/fda-approves-american-gene-technologies-agt-to-move-forward-with-phase-1-clinical-trial-of-hiv-cure-program/

Still, this is very promising!

I didn't like THIS though:

“I am confident AGT103-T will be an important step towards an eventual cure for HIV,” said AGT CEO Jeff Galvin.

The article doesn’t suggest it’s a cure. It says it’s “intended to repair the immune system damage done by HIV and allow natural responses to control the virus”. In other words, rebuild the wall, but the enemy is still inside the gates.

Yes this was developed using CRISPR technology.

COVID proved to us that when you can channel the entire scientific community to focus on a specific disease, to collaborate, and throw a lot of money at it....you can accelerate the process in a quantum way. If we could harness this and attack a single disease at a time, we could probably make faster progress.

I too was troubled by the CEO's comment, I wonder if he is just being careful (until this has cleared Phases 1 & 2)? Might also be because it is not practical to scale this particular treatment....but this could lead to another way to achieve the same result? This treatment requires extracting some of a persons own blood, then modifying it over 11 days (doing gene editing of the T Cells) then infusing the blood back into the body. With the advent of PreP and HAART HIV is a much larger problem in underdeveloped countries and it's especially not practical to scale this in those places.

Here's info about the treatment: https://www.americangene.com/press-releases/fda-approves-american-gene-technologies-agt-to-move-forward-with-phase-1-clinical-trial-of-hiv-cure-program/

Still, this is very promising!

It is heartening that the scientific community funneled much of its energy toward looking for a vaccine. I suppose much of it was because it happened to effect the right countries so that they were willing to put money toward that end. As for COVID, one of the things I am still aware that while they may have a vaccine they can't know how long immunization will last. However that question I suppose will be answered fairly quickly.

Edited by TruthBTold

The article doesn’t suggest it’s a cure. It says it’s “intended to repair the immune system damage done by HIV and allow natural responses to control the virus”. In other words, rebuild the wall, but the enemy is still inside the gates.

You also expressed disbelief towards a Covid-19 vaccine...

Must you always:

You also expressed disbelief towards a Covid-19 vaccine...

Must you always:

It’s fake news and misrepresented in the headline. Look again. It’s NOT a cure. It’s NOT represented to be a cure. You really should pay attention. Your constant antagonist comments will not chase me away but they make you look silly.

and it might be a bit early for you to be heralding C-19 vaccines. There’s a lot of time and production ahead before People like me ever receive it.

It’s fake news and misrepresented in the headline. Look again. It’s NOT a cure. It’s NOT represented to be a cure. You really should pay attention. Your constant antagonist comments will not chase me away but they make you look silly.

and it might be a bit early for you to be heralding C-19 vaccines. There’s a lot of time and production ahead before People like me ever receive it.

you called me silly while complaining about my alleged constant antagonistic comments?

Silly to be putting out false hope that a vaccine is the solution too!!

Where’s THE vaccine for the flu?

Where the vaccine for herpes?

Where’s the vaccine for HIV?

We don’t tend to find viral vaccines quickly. Better look to coping mechanisms than to hold out false hope waiting!

Vaccines are good! Science is good!

you called me silly while complaining about my alleged constant antagonistic comments?

Vaccines are good! Science is good!

Ok, so we may have hopefully found a vaccine. Some may be able to get it in weeks...healthcare workers. Then the most vulnerable. It will likely be a year before a healthy guy like me gets it. My advice remains “find a coping mechanism” because the best case scenario means that the majority of the population will be waiting a long time. You’re trying to make me out to be wrong, but I’m not.

Ok, so we may have hopefully found a vaccine. Some may be able to get it in weeks...healthcare workers. Then the most vulnerable. It will likely be a year before a healthy guy like me gets it. My advice remains “find a coping mechanism” because the best case scenario means that the majority of the population will be waiting a long time. You’re trying to make me out to be wrong, but I’m not.

...may?

June? July?

you didn't get it.

We both missed the point, didn't we?

May is not may ...

Anyways, trust science, if they tell you a vaccine (or 3) have been created, trust them.

Trust is NOT a part of scientific method. It involves systematic observation, measurement, and experiment, and the formulation, testing, and modification of hypotheses.

I’ll let YOU stand in line trusting that the formulation is adequately tested and doesn’t require modification.

Science is best characterized as accurate when viewed in the rear view mirror...until then, I’m hopeful, not trusting

• 4 months later...

While we have been hearing about a cure for decades, this one is actually in Phase I studies. Lots of drugs flare out in Phase I-but still crossing fingers!

Potential HIV cure Phase I trial gets FDA green light (outsourcing-pharma.com)

Who doesnt prefer it! If there was no hiv or we could at least prevent it to the best of our abilities then why not?

I remember reading just when covid broke out that the fda approved trials for crispR (?) to be started on trials to cure the disease. Anyone have any current info?

You @Gymowner got me curious about this subject, I searched and found this.

Unfortunately it turned into an anti-vaxxer thread or something like it.

Hopefully more good news will come, unfortunately some will never trust science just like they didn't trust wearing a condom in the 80s.