Polar bear swims 200 miles only to be shot

Rick Munroe
This topic is 5793 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

This is just so sad. The poor thing had his home melt away and then swam 200 miles looking for land...was starving and exhausted...and instead of tranquilizing him, the police shot him to death. So much for endangered species protection. There's a thread in the Lounge about movies that make you cry, and I would put this video at the top of that list right now.

http://www.towleroad.com/2008/06/iceland-police.html

Guest LatinoRican

Mr. Munroe

Your post of the polar bear that was recently killed in Iceland (and which nobody on this board cared too much about) motivated me to send an email to Icelandic authorities. I expressed my concern over how poorly they had dealt with the situation and how this had affected my opinion of Icelanders in general. Well, much to my surprise, today I received a lengthy email from the Icelandic Minister of the Environment explaining why they were forced to proceed as they did. In addition, he is requesting a full investigation into the situation. Ok, so maybe it is a form letter he sent out to whoever complained about what happened, the important thing is that together we can make a difference! Yay! I will try to forward it to you.

>Ok, so maybe it is a form letter he sent out to

>whoever complained about what happened, the important thing is

>that together we can make a difference!

That's an incredibly simple but true fact. If a million people make a small effort, it can have a huge effect. Very cool that you went the extra step of taking action. As a certain presidential candidate often says: one voice can change a room, and if one voice can change a room it can change a group; if one voice can change a group then it can change a community, and that one voice can then change a state and change the country and the world.

Archived