JOHN ADAMS

jackhammer91406
This topic is 5839 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Not sure I have seen another thread about this miniseries.

If there is one, sorry for starting a new thread.

I just watched the final episode of this 7 part miniseries produced for HBO by Tom Hanks. I confess I was addicted and feel a little sad that the last episode has run.

For me, the performances, production values and depictions of the founding of our country were a wonder to watch.

I enjoyed every minute and won't be surprised when Emmy time rolls around to see this production pick up a bundle of 'em.

I also won't be surprised that people will chime in to complain of all the historical errors.

I am sure there are History experts here that can tell of how many mistake and misconceptions there were in this drama. I don't care.

If half of what I saw on screen is true, then the men who started this country were men with gigantic balls and deserve our undying gratitude. They may have had their flaws as human beings, but for starting up a idea from whole cloth, they didn't do half bad.

Guest ncm2169

The series is everything you say it is. Adams was amazing, perhaps only surpassed by his wife, Abigail.

Amazing times and amazing people. }(

It was terrific on every level but it was not "produced for HBO by Tom Hanks."

His production company was involved but he was not the "producer" in the old-fashioned Hollywood sense of the word. His name is on it because he is, frankly, a name.

To imply that he was the one and only producer is not a reflection of the reality of the situation.

But everyone should watch this series ... it was terrific.

Mark

I join those that have already posted in praising this series. It was well acted, directed and produced. The story of John Adams and Abigal Adams is a love story for the ages - true friendship and partnership that was an important part of the founding of the USA.

Regarding Tom Hanks involvement you're wrong when you say Hanks "was just a name" in the producers list.

Hanks is the one who convinced author McCullough to allow his award winning biography "John Adams" to be made into a small screen film. It was Hanks who met for three-days in Boston with McCullough and showed the author his dogeared and highlighted copy of the book which then convinced McCullough to put the book into the hands of HBO.

Guess I needed to reserve the right to revise and extend my remarks.

Tom Hanks' production company (Playtone) produced John Adams.

He was very instrumental in making the mini series at all.

The fact that there are other producers listed is correct technically, but they all worked for him in that his company was the producer.

It is not uncommon for an executive producer to hire line producers to manage the day to day on-set issues.

Be that as it may, I thought the show was outstanding regardless.

I loved McCullough's book but didn't see the HBO series. I will most definitely buy the DVD. Now I wish Hanks would put his influence behind making a series of Doris Kearns Goodwin's book "Team of Rivals: The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln". This is probably the most riveting biography I have ever read and is an incredible testament to the genius of Lincoln. I found this book, at times, moving beyond words.

David McCullough is a national treasure - one of the very best non fiction, historical writers alive today.

If you haven't read his book detailing the great "Johnstown Flood" you should buy a paperback copy and read it - a fascinating story that is detailed and wonderfully written.

JOHN ADAMS

HBO

HBO Films in association with Playtone Productions

Credits:

Executive producers: Tom Hanks, Gary Goetzman

The Playtone Company is an American film and television production company and record label established by actor Tom Hanks and producer Gary Goetzman.

It was named after the fictional record company "Playtone" in That Thing You Do!, written and directed by Hanks.

Facts - stubborn things...

Archived