The Wall Has Risen Anew!!

Gar1eth
This topic is 1390 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

My Mom lives in a retirement community which has been on lock down since March. Last month they started in person visits. They luckily have a room with a doorway to the building and also an outside door. You park in a designated spot. A screener comes out to take your temperature. Your loved one enters the room from the building side. You come in from the outside. Scheduling is a bit of a nightmare. Originally residents could only receive one visit a week- which now has been increased to two. Two people can visit at a time. My Mom is so popular today was my first visit in a month!!

IMG_0836.JPG?raw=1

I didn't have time today. But at the next visit I'll be bringing some baked goodies.

F8DB4E92-2541-401F-B3D9-64FE1551C278-4077-000001D5CA7F5C63.JPG?raw=1

Gman

That would be so difficult for both sides. When my mother was dying in a memory care facility, I had lunch with her every day. I like to think it was important for her. It would have been impossible to explain this to her.

So sorry for your loss. I'm lucky in that "she" (or as my father would always chime in-"Not 'SHE,' your mother." My brother, sister, and I still say this occasionally) is totally with it. We even FaceTime.

Gman

My Mom lives in a retirement community which has been on lock down since March. Last month they started in person visits. They luckily have a room with a doorway to the building and also an outside door. You park in a designated spot. A screener comes out to take your temperature. Your loved one enters the room from the building side. You come in from the outside. Scheduling is a bit of a nightmare. Originally residents could only receive one visit a week- which now has been increased to two. Two people can visit at a time. My Mom is so popular today was my first visit in a month!!

IMG_0836.JPG?raw=1

I didn't have time today. But at the next visit I'll be bringing some baked goodies.

Gman

That wall will keep her and others alive. She certainly sounds popular, bring her babka and you'll surprisingly will jump to the front of the line.

Another version!

That wall will keep her and others alive. She certainly sounds popular, bring her babka and you'll surprisingly will jump to the front of the line.

Another version!

I'm not sure babka is an extremely popular bread here. I first heard of it on Seinfeld. But I've seen it at delis since. My mom might have been aware of it even when I wasn't as she was a step closer to immigrant Europeans (my grandparents) than I was, and she grew up in a more Jewish milieu in Dallas than I did out on the dusty West Texas Plains. (Same Plains-same city-same years as Allen Silver whom some of y'all might be familiar with. I never met him there though. I think he was a little shocked when I brought up the name of a mutual straight friend from home during our session. )

I'm already number one in my Mom's heart-or at least that's what my two sibs and I argue about.

And while failing to send her a Babka, I did surprise her with delivery pizza and wings on Sunday.

Gman

I'm not sure babka is an extremely popular bread here. I first heard of it on Seinfeld. But I've seen it at delis since. My mom might have been aware of it even when I wasn't as she was a step closer to immigrant Europeans (my grandparents) than I was, and she grew up in a more Jewish milieu in Dallas than I did out on the dusty West Texas Plains. (Same Plains-same city-same years as Allen Silver whom some of y'all might be familiar with. I never met him there though. I think he was a little shocked when I brought up the name of a mutual straight friend from home during our session. )

I'm already number one in my Mom's heart-or at least that's what my two sibs and I argue about.

And while failing to send her a Babka, I did surprise her with delivery pizza and wings on Sunday.

Gman

There was an even better video from "The Nanny" but I can't find it.

Edited by marylander1940

My picture names the plexiglass wall Checkpoint Charlie.

Gman

Sigh. Not enough information. As important as visits to nursing homes related places now with loved ones, it doesn't compare with divided Berlin and an actual wall

People were killed in Berlin trying to cross into West Berlin.

I lived in West Germany for several months in 1972. I was in West Germany during President Nixon's Christmas 1972 . Bombing of Hanoi.

IMG_0836.JPG?raw=1

Gman

I know retirement communities are extremely cautious, and should be, but reading this, I couldn't help but think it sounds like visitor day at a prison.