Any Horticulturists Out There? My Tomato Harbored A Space Alien

Gar1eth
This topic is 1407 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I had sliced a few pieces of tomato to put on a pizza. Leftover tomatoes never keep that well after cutting, so I was cutting the remainder for a salad. All of a sudden as I'm slicing deeper into the tomato, I see tentacles in the tomato I'm cutting up.

IMG_0724.jpg?raw=1

I was totally grossed out. They seemed to be attached to the innards of the tomato. They weren't soft like I'd think a worm would be. They were hard like uncooked vermicelli noodle or those noodles in Chinese food that look a lot like styrofoam before they are cooked.

Once I had recovered, I pulled out the pizza that had been in the oven 10 minutes and took off the tomato slices.

This tomato had been part of a bunch connected by a stem. I had already eaten one days ago. I hope there wasn't a space alien in that one too. But I took the last tomato in the bunch, and there was an alien there too. In fact that's what the picture is of as I was grossed out totally but he first one and threw it away.

So anyone know what it is? I emailed the county extension agent. But I don't expect to hear anything back from him until next week at the earliest.

Gman

I had sliced a few pieces of tomato to put on a pizza. Leftover tomatoes never keep that well after cutting, so I was cutting the remainder for a salad. All of a sudden as I'm slicing deeper into the tomato, I see tentacles in the tomato I'm cutting up.

IMG_0724.jpg?raw=1

I was totally grossed out. They seemed to be attached to the innards of the tomato. They weren't soft like I'd think a worm would be. They were hard like uncooked vermicelli noodle or those noodles in Chinese food that look a lot like styrofoam before they are cooked.

Once I had recovered, I pulled out the pizza that had been in the oven 10 minutes and took off the tomato slices.

This tomato had been part of a bunch connected by a stem. I had already eaten one days ago. I hope there wasn't a space alien in that one too. But I took the last tomato in the bunch, and there was an alien there too. In fact that's what the picture is of as I was grossed out totally but he first one and threw it away.

So anyone know what it is? I emailed the county extension agent. But I don't expect to hear anything back from him until next week at the earliest.

Gman

https://blog.extension.uconn.edu/2014/06/04/seeds-sprouting-inside-a-tomato/#

IMG_0724.jpg?raw=1

Gman

It looks like a tomato seed or two have sprouted inside the fruit. It can happen when the tomato is overripe. The sprouts have some toxicity to them, so good to throw it out. Don't feed to pets either.

I want to thank everyone. I looked up tentacles and tomatoes. But I never found that. Y'all are the best!!!???

Gman

If you're into gardening, you can actually plant those bits of tomatoes in the soil and get a new plant from it. However, the tomatoes may not be the exact same variety as the mother plant since the tomato was pollinated and could have cross-pollinated with a different variety depending on how or where it was grown. If it was a farm full of beefsteak tomatoes though, it'll likely produce beefsteak tomatoes in the new plant. Just depends.