blu ray wins

Guest josephga
This topic is 5909 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Guest josephga

TOKYO - Toshiba said Tuesday it will no longer develop, make or market HD DVD players and recorders, handing a victory to rival Blu-ray disc technology in the format battle for next-generation video.

"We concluded that a swift decision would be best," Toshiba President Atsutoshi Nishida told reporters at his company's Tokyo offices.

The move would make Blu-ray — backed by Sony Corp., Matsushita Electric Industrial Co., which makes Panasonic brand products, and five major Hollywood movie studios — the winner in the battle over high-definition DVD formatting that began several years ago.

Yeah, it's too bad, as Sony really didn't need any more power in the entertainment industry. They always end up trying to screw the customers.

Once I finally go HD, I think I'll wait for a high-quality and fairly open (I.E. not Apple) download setup that's like Netflix without the mail. Amazon, Netflix and others have been rumored to be working on systems. There's one or two already out but the quality of their HD is barely standard DVD.

Over the next 2 or so months there should be HD-DVD players available really cheap. It might be worth considering because I've seen they actually make pretty good up-converting standard DVD players. Just don't get any HD-DVD movies you can't get for free or dirt cheap... And update the firmware from Toshiba while it's still available.

Archived