What do rings on fingers mean ... if anything?

Guest carter07

This topic is 5354 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Guest carter07

This is a trivial question, but it's nagged at me for some time. Is there any particular meaning in the way guys wear finger rings? For instance, does a ring on the left-hand finger between the forefinger and traditional ring finger mean, say, a gay guy in a committed relationship? Or does it mean nothing at all? What about a finger worn on the little finger, either hand? I've noticed that guys, often with an earring and/or tattoo, wear rings on fingers other than the traditional ring fingers but I've never found an explanation. Can someone help?

Guest zipperzone

I really don't think the finger a ring is worn on means diddly (unless it is the traditional wedding ring finger of the left hand).

Guys just wear a ring anywhere it strikes their fancy and is largly a fashion statement.

Just mt take on things.....

Interesting question. I’d say there are lots of reasons for such besides vanity. Personally, I will attest to some sentimental reasons.

On my right hand I wear my father's high school senior ring. It's made from a solid piece of gold embossed with his year of graduation, 1933, and the school mascot. It’s small and has several interesting designs, not like such rings today. Been wearing it since high school and it gets some interesting comments from time to time.

Also, on the little finger of my left hand, I wear my mother's wedding band. I put that on my hand at the emergency room the night she suffered a stroke coupled with a broken hip. It had to be removed and at the time my little finger was the only place I could think of to place it for safekeeping. Not long after she passed away. These rings allow me to keep a connection to my parents in a subtle way. ;(

So there's my reasons for such. Now could someone explain thumb rings for me? :-)

Guest zipperzone

>Many gay couples wear rings on their right hand's ring

>finger.

That's true. But if they lived in Canada where they could be legally married, they could wear them on the left hand just like the "normal" folks.

>Many gay couples wear rings on their right hand's ring

>finger.

True. My partner and I wear our rings on the ring finger of our right hands and have since we exchanged them. (I believe I heard this is the normal hand in Greece)

It is our intent, that should we ever be allowed to legally marry and be federally recognized that we will do so and move them to the left hands.

KevinInSA