Tell Your Masseur.....

Dmitri
This topic is 1522 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I was looking over the 2 trillion dollar stimulus bill that will most probably be signed this week/weekend. There is a provision in the bill for "self-employed and gig workers" to collect unemployment. Typically self-employed and gig workers can't collect unemployment, since they do not pay in. (only employers do) But this bill will provide $600/week on top of whatever the person will collect in unemployment, and the bill includes the self-employed and gig workers. (such as the masseurs we hire) The bill will cover 4 months. Since most of us in the forum have mentioned we are not hiring until the crisis passes, I think contacting our regular masseurs with this good news will help them out, since many of them will be unaware of this. $2,400/month in addition to whatever they get in regular unemployment will help cover their rent, food, etc. until their business picks up. I will be contacting my regular masseurs today with this news.

Edited by Dmitri

I was looking over the 2 trillion dollar stimulus bill that will most probably be signed this week/weekend. There is a provision in the bill for "self-employed and gig workers" to collect unemployment. Typically self-employed and gig workers can't collect unemployment, since they do not pay in. (only employers do) But this bill will provide $600/week on top of whatever the person will collect in unemployment, and the bill includes the self-employed and gig workers. (such as the masseurs we hire) The bill will cover 4 months. Since most of us in the forum have mentioned we are not hiring until the crisis passes, I think contacting our regular masseurs with this good news will help them out, since many of them will be unaware of this. $2,400/month in addition to whatever they get in regular unemployment will help cover their rent, food, etc. until their business picks up. I will be contacting my regular masseurs today with this news.

Where can they sign up for this?

What steps should they follow?

What if they are not a USA resident or Green Card holder?

I know a case and he has a small real state empire back home waiting for his retirement.

They can't apply and I would tell them to remain below the radar specially under this administration.

Some frequent posters have mentioned masseurfider requires a picture of an ID for providers to be able to advertise. No way for me to know if it's true but I take their word as valid.

Edited by marylander1940

They NYT analyzed the bill fairly comprehensively this morning.

To receive the payment, in addition to meeting maximum historical income tests, the recipient must have a valid U.S. Social Security number (not a fake card ginned up on the sidewalk, lol), and must have filed a U.S. tax return as recently as the 2018 tax year.

Not sure where the right place to post this, but does anyone know of any good, free gay chat lines? I know this is a throwback, but there used to be a couple of free lines in LA that was a good place to meet guys to get off or switch to FaceTime for a little hotness....In the age of Corona just looking for a little variety to spice things up.

Where can they sign up for this?

What steps should they follow?

I know a case and he has a small real state empire back home waiting for his retirement.

They can't apply and I would tell them to remain below the radar specially under this administration.

Some frequent posters have mentioned masseurfider requires a picture of an ID for providers to be able to advertise. No way for me to know if it's true but I take their word as valid.

To apply it would be the same steps as anyone would to receive unemployment......you can either call or sign up online at your state unemployment office. I would wait until the stimulus package is signed, since if you are self employed now, you can't sign up.....only after the bill is signed.....hopefully this week/weekend. And Oaktown, I would assume if someone is here illegally they would not qualify. But for all that are citizens/residents or have Green Cards, at least some of our masseurs are covered, which is better than none.

Edited by Dmitri

To apply it would be the same steps as anyone would to receive unemployment......you can either call or sign up online at your state unemployment office. I would wait until the stimulus package is signed, since if you are self employed now, you can't sign up.....only after the bill is signed.....hopefully this week/weekend. And Oaktown, I would assume if someone is here illegally they would not qualify. But for all that are residents or have green cards, at least some of our masseurs are covered, which is better than none.

Thank you, I'm already texting a couple I know about it.

Sorry if I’m stating the obvious, but this would only apply to those who also have other “real” jobs other than massaging.

What? Based on what I've read, the bill specifically includes self-employed and "gig economy" workers, something that is quite different than typical unemployment insurance coverage. It seems like if you are a masseur who suddenly has no work you can file for benefits. From what I've read, such people would be eligible for the extra $600 the Fed is kicking in for unemployed folks plus half the average unemployment benefit in their state, though that's just information I read in the news this morning before the House further tinkered with the bill.

What? Based on what I've read, the bill specifically includes self-employed and "gig economy" workers, something that is quite different than typical unemployment insurance coverage. It seems like if you are a masseur who suddenly has no work you can file for benefits. From what I've read, such people would be eligible for the extra $600 the Fed is kicking in for unemployed folks plus half the average unemployment benefit in their state, though that's just information I read in the news this morning before the House further tinkered with the bill.

Gig economy workers like Uber drivers and Postmates drivers and Task Rabbit workers and WAG dog walkers get paid by pay checks or online bank transfers that are taxed not by cash. I could be wrong, but I don't think most, if any, of these guys file taxes on the cash we pay them. There's no proof of this income. Anyone could say they made $1 milion dollars massaging last year.

Gig economy workers like Uber drivers and Postmates drivers and Task Rabbit workers and WAG dog walkers get paid by pay checks or online bank transfers that are taxed not by cash. I could be wrong, but I don't think most, if any, of these guys file taxes on the cash we pay them. There's no proof of this income. Anyone could say they made $1 milion dollars massaging last year.

Your income does need to be documented on your 2018 OR 2019 (if you have filed it already) tax return in order to qualify. When I told all 3 of my regular masseurs that they would qualify in this new stimulus bill, (since the bill does include the self-employed)..they were all ecstatic. They get $600/week on top of what their unemployment will pay. That extra $600/week expires after 4 months. (that is an extra $9,600 if they go for the 4 months) And yes...all 3 of my regular masseurs said they did file tax returns showing income from massage, so all 3 will benefit.

Edited by Dmitri

Probably a good time for providers to reflect on who did/didn’t report their income vs. cash transactions “under the table” so to speak.

Most don't report it and don't pay taxes, hopefully they saved some money for a rainy day.

Some report PayPal, and other forms of payments that are not cash.

Edit: Interesting to see what was posted on here and specially those who decided not to answer the question. So many Americans living paycheck to paycheck... and unable to save!

Trump’s shutdown threatens Friday payday. Would you be able to live without a couple of paychecks?

Edited by marylander1940

Those receiving unemployment insurance or about to receive unemployment insurance need to remember that unemployment income is deemed taxable income. Next January recipients of unemployment insurance will be receiving a 1099 in the mail.

Agree, but my sense is if the savings ethic isn’t there, either is the discipline to make quarterly tax deposits for the future ?

A client sent me this via email today...

If anyone needs to share with their masseurs, or freelance friends, small business owners

Screenshot-20200328-142942-Gmail.jpg

If you're a freelancer or independent contractor

Typically, self-employed people, freelancers and contractors can't apply for unemployment. This bill creates a new, temporary Pandemic Unemployment Assistance program that provides unemployment coverage through the end of the year to freelancers and independent contractors and also provides an additional $600 per week for 4 months in addition to regular state benefits.

If you're a small business owner

The bill provides $10 billion for grants of up to $10,000 to provide emergency funds for small businesses who qualify for the Economic Injury Disaster Loan to cover immediate operating costs,

There is $350 billion allocated for the Small Business Administration to provide loans of up to $10 million per business. Any portion of that loan used to maintain payroll, keep workers on the books, or pay for rent, mortgage and existing debt could be forgiven, provided workers stay employed through the end of June.

If you're a property/homeowner

Borrowers of federally-backed mortgage loans can request a loan forbearance on their payments (without penalties, fees, or interest) for at least 180 days.

Multi-family borrowers may request a similar forbearance for up to 30 days.

In addition, foreclosures on similar mortgage loans are prohibited for at least 60 days and evictions from properties related to several federal programs are also prohibited for a 120 day period.