App hookups and Social Distancing?

LaffingBear
This topic is 1548 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

There are many threads on here about activity during the pandemic, changed behavior, etc. Apologies if this topic is covered elsewhere. Given the threads about hiring, etc., I wondered, "are people smart enough to forgo random hookups from Grindr, et al, in the current environment?"

And so, I logged in, something I rarely do from home. I use the apps when I travel.

I see Grindr has added a chat feature. They're also messaging to stay safe, practice social distancing. I wonder if it will be effective.

I started updating my profile. Something in the theme of "be safe, don't risk it. Think with your head, not your crotch." As I was editing my profile, I got three message notifications. One was from Grindr. Two were from wannabes...

I decided that my profile is not the place to lecture, to admonish. In all likelihood, I'd get more snide or attack responses than anything else. So I abandoned my editing, and simply logged out.

But I wonder if Grindr type hookups are declining. I hope so, but I recognize how powerful the urges, that sex drive can overrule all else, and people do thoughtless things when horny.

There are many threads on here about activity during the pandemic, changed behavior, etc. Apologies if this topic is covered elsewhere. Given the threads about hiring, etc., I wondered, "are people smart enough to forgo random hookups from Grindr, et al, in the current environment?"

And so, I logged in, something I rarely do from home. I use the apps when I travel.

I see Grindr has added a chat feature. They're also messaging to stay safe, practice social distancing. I wonder if it will be effective.

I started updating my profile. Something in the theme of "be safe, don't risk it. Think with your head, not your crotch." As I was editing my profile, I got three message notifications. One was from Grindr. Two were from wannabes...

I decided that my profile is not the place to lecture, to admonish. In all likelihood, I'd get more snide or attack responses than anything else. So I abandoned my editing, and simply logged out.

But I wonder if Grindr type hookups are declining. I hope so, but I recognize how powerful the urges, that sex drive can overrule all else, and people do thoughtless things when horny.

I've been on the apps for window shopping only. No meetups. ?‍♂️

I’ve logged into Grindr to keep in touch with a couple younger friends who have always preferred messaging there for some reason ??‍♂️ Even though they have my direct text/phone info. I suspect there’s reasons for them to be discreet and private. We are chatting only...this is a small/select group of guys I’ve met live - but rarely and sporadically in the past. They are not looking to meet now, just keep in touch.

So that being said, I’m pretty surprised at when I logon how many random, new, Grindr contacts are messaging me to hook up? What are they thinking? All kinds of reasons why they are “safe”, but in general it seems they are clueless about spreading virus vs. getting sick themselves.

It’s disturbing.

I’ve logged into Grindr to keep in touch with a couple younger friends who have always preferred messaging there for some reason ??‍♂️ Even though they have my direct text/phone info. I suspect there’s reasons for them to be discreet and private. We are chatting only...this is a small/select group of guys I’ve met live - but rarely and sporadically in the past. They are not looking to meet now, just keep in touch.

So that being said, I’m pretty surprised at when I logon how many random, new, Grindr contacts are messaging me to hook up? What are they thinking? All kinds of reasons why they are “safe”, but in general it seems they are clueless about spreading virus vs. getting sick themselves.

It’s disturbing.

Yup it's alarming how a crisis can expose how ignorant and reckless some can be. My view is that everyone will get it. Obviously we should slow the rate down to lessen the strain on the medical care industry, as well as to avoid getting sick those that could potentially die from it before a potential vaccine is developed. Group spreading would be more detrimental than two individuals hooking up, but still could lead to loads more being sick because of the next person or groups of people each individual could potentially infect if one has the virus. Each individual should be knowledgeable of the risks and manage those accordingly. I elected to finish out my travel trip more or less, but knew each individual I met with accepted and acknowledged those risks as well, and was not careless or ignorant in their behaviors and attitudes to stay safe as much as possible. Now back in Vegas, I intend to distance for the next few weeks though as well. That was going to be the plan all along really, but even more so realizing just how much carelessness and ignorance about this virus people can potentially have.