The Last Czar

TruthBTold
This topic is 1597 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I watched a multi-episode limited series regarding Czar Nicholas II and Czarina Alexandra that is being shown on Netflix. I can't say it was great but I liked it for a few reasons. First, I had very limited knowledge of late 19th, early 20 century Russian history. The show itself is a combination of experts explaining what happens at certain times in each episode and why, for better or worse, things proceeded as they did. At the same time it is sort of a docudrama that portrays particularly important historical events or events as imagined by the authors. I suppose it is like The Crown but mixed with history experts explaining why various decisions and events are bad or good. Second, it is lavishly photographed and costumed. The Czars were the last autocrats in Europe and had unlimited monies available to them. Part of the inevitability of their downfall was their disregard of the poverty of the majority of the population. When they realized something needed to be done to remedy the situation it was too late. Moreover, I am not sure if the producers were given access to the various palaces to photograph them or if it was all recreated but things are really stunning. It is filmed as if they were filming inside the Vatican walls. Finally, the acting is really very good. And it helps that the main male actor (Czar Nicholas) is very handsome with stunning blue eyes. So all in all it is worth watching, particularly if you are not familiar with a certain era of Russian history.

gn-gift_guide_variable_c.jpg

NINTCHDBPICT000508484181.jpg?strip=all&w=960

I’ve been reading about the Romanovs for ages, so I’ll have to check it out. Tsar Nicholas II was a cousin of both King George V and Kaiser Wilhelm II. He was a good-hearted man, but feckless and insulated from his subjects. His decision to assume control of the armed forces in 2016 was a disaster. Putin has resurrected many Tsarist symbols, including the double-headed eagle, the renaming of regiments and the dress uniforms of the army and navy.

I’ve been reading about the Romanovs for ages, so I’ll have to check it out. Tsar Nicholas II was a cousin of both King George V and Kaiser Wilhelm II. He was a good-hearted man, but feckless and insulated from his subjects. His decision to assume control of the armed forces in 2016 was a disaster. Putin has resurrected many Tsarist symbols, including the double-headed eagle, the renaming of regiments and the dress uniforms of the army and navy.

And she was the granddaughter of Queen Victoria. Her mother Alice (Alice's mother was THE Queen Victoria) was married to a grand duke in Germany.

Edited by TruthBTold

The Fabergé eggs were marvelous

Definitely. They are housed in the Hermitage Museum which is part of a complex which contains the Winter Palace. The Winter Palace in St. Petersburg was the main residence of the Russian monarchs from the early 1700s to the year that the monarchy ended (1917). The Palace houses a huge art collection which was begun (for the most part) during the reign of Catherine the Great in the late 1700's. Her collection contained many works attributed to Rembrandt, Rubens, Titian, Raphael, van Dyck, Tiepolo, and Reni.

Definitely. They are housed in the Hermitage Museum which is part of a complex which contains the Winter Palace. The Winter Palace in St. Petersburg was the main residence of the Russian monarchs from the early 1700s to the year that the monarchy ended (1917). The Palace houses a huge art collection which was begun (for the most part) during the reign of Catherine the Great in the late 1700's. Her collection contained many works attributed to Rembrandt, Rubens, Titian, Raphael, van Dyck, Tiepolo, and Reni.

Last year, I took a private tour of the Hermitage (SPB travel). It opened earlier for our tour group. Saw all the treausres of the Hermitage without the crowds. Wonderful experience and highly recommended. I was a little apprehensive visiting Russia, some friends recommended removing our sex/dating apps etc..., but it was totally fine and so much fun.