Airport Reading

Lucky
This topic is 5554 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Since I did a lot of flying recently, as well as a lot of subway riding (and waiting) I managed to knock out a few of the newer airport novels. I liked them all, too!

My favorite was The Ghost, by Robert Harris. It's a thinly disguised look at Tony Blair and his descent in British politics due to his unfailing support of George Bush. In the novel, the character fashioned after him is writing his memoirs when his ghostwriter dies a mysterious death. The naive new writer finds out many unsavory facts leading him to wish he had avoided the assignment.

David Baldacci's new novel is better than his last few but still involves the members of the Camel Club. Also doing better is Vince Flynn with a thriller starring his hero Mitch Rapp, who seems a little more human in this one.

Richard North Patterson writes yet another political novel, this one so much a polemic as to be hardly a credible novel. It's called The Race and features the kind of Republican we would all love to run for president who has to fight off the bad guys who don't like his dating a black girlfriend...and, he secretly fights the battle his suicided younger brother cannot...one for gay rights!

Greg Iles is back in form with Third Degree,involving a love affair gone bad and Stephen Frey has the weakest of the bunch: The Fourth Order, industrial politics and secret government agencies.

If you still haven't found one that will get you cross-country, I remind you to try Pete Hamill's new novel, North River, involving a West Village doctor in the 1930's and featuring real nostalgic looks at old New York.

I have just finished a fascinating nonfiction book entitled "Agent Zigzag" by Ben Macintyre. It actually reads more like fiction than nonfiction. The jacket cover states that it is "a true story of Nazi espionage, love, and betrayal" and that is exactly what it is. For anybody who enjoys spy stories this onE is a MUST.

Archived