And somewhere in Canada ... Pigloos

RealAvalon
This topic is 1734 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

When I read the first article, I had to laugh. Come on, "pigloo" is pretty damn funny. But after reading the second article, you stop laughing.

There has to be a way to change the economics of the issue. The sums cited for hunting feral pigs sound awfully high. $150-200?? Why not drastically lower the license fees to encourage more hunters and thereby minimize the feral pig population?

By the way, I had wild boar once at an italian restaurant (authentic Italian, not Italian-American). It was absolutely amazing, like pork except more gamey & much richer. It sounds like my "wild boar" could easily have been feral pigs trapped in the US (as opposed to true wild boar hunted in Europe). You almost never see wild boar on menus in the US, yet feral pig populations run amok causing great environmental and economic damage. It sounds like feral pig trapping just isn't lucrative enough. Normally I oppose government subsidies, but in this particular case, it might be a good idea.

"Canadian wild pigs have started making their way into the northern United States.

This is a big problem for farmers in Montana and North Dakota because the feral invaders will feed on just about anything and are a danger to local plants and animals."

Is there no end to Canadians creating havoc in this country? :D Forget Mexico! We're going to have to build a wall to keep the Canadians out...

"Canadian wild pigs have started making their way into the northern United States.

This is a big problem for farmers in Montana and North Dakota because the feral invaders will feed on just about anything and are a danger to local plants and animals."

Is there no end to Canadians creating havoc in this country? :D Forget Mexico! We're going to have to build a wall to keep the Canadians out...

If Putin suggested a wall to keep out the Canadian wild pigs … it would happen

But just in case anyone isn't getting the play on words … which I'm sure everyone is

Igloo - Inuit ice house

Pigloo - wild boar ice cave/tunnel

Edited by RealAvalon

But just in case anyone isn't getting the play on words … which I'm sure everyone is

Igloo - Inuit ice house

Thanks for the clarification. Probably a lot of Americans think all Canadians live in igloos. ;)

Edited by Unicorn

By the way, I had wild boar once at an italian restaurant (authentic Italian, not Italian-American). It was absolutely amazing, like pork except more gamey & much richer. It sounds like my "wild boar" could easily have been feral pigs trapped in the US (as opposed to true wild boar hunted in Europe). You almost never see wild boar on menus in the US, yet feral pig populations run amok causing great environmental and economic damage. It sounds like feral pig trapping just isn't lucrative enough. Normally I oppose government subsidies, but in this particular case, it might be a good idea.

It does make it into dog food. I taste-tested a bunch of the "Taste of the Wild" varieties when I first got my dog. Boar was her second-least favorite, Bison was the least (although oddly enough, she picked the Bison over what otherwise was her second favorite, Salmon).