Does this bug you too?

Guest zipperzone
This topic is 6019 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Guest zipperzone

Is anyone else bugged by this or am I just being anal?

Schwarzenegger has be the gov of California for several years now.

Wouldn't you think it's about time he learned how to pronounce the name of the state.

I think if I hear him call it Cal ee fornia, one more time, I'll throw a fucking brick through the TV!

actually, the correct Spanish pronunciation would make the letter "i" sound like he pronounces it, though I think he exaggerates the "ee" sound, it seems...

by the way, California is named after a mythical "utopian" land that was in a Spanish novel from the 1400s...I don't think it really has a literal translation

Guest zipperzone

>actually, the correct Spanish pronunciation would make the

>letter "i" sound like he pronounces it, though I think he

>exaggerates the "ee" sound, it seems...

But it's America, not Spain or Mexico (although some would dispute that) and he is supposedly speaking English, not Spanish.

Next you'll be telling us that a Kraut knows how to speak our language better than we do.

>But it's America, not Spain or Mexico

Yes, it's America ... a country built by immigrants from the world over who have been welcomed into our society and have become productive citizens. We've been called the great melting pot.

You're taking this a little over the top, don't you think?

Guest Wetnwildbear

What bugs me Most about Arnold is that earlier this year he was

complaining publicly that due to the IRAQ War that the CAL-EE-FORNIA

National Guard was stretched to its limits and woefully underequipped

to deal with any state emergencies.

His predictions proved to be woefully true, yet he has breathed nary

a sigh about the Golden State's depleted National Guard.

Nor have you or will you heard anythimg in the news about the work of

the Cal NG.

You won't they are in Iraq instead of helping to save SoCal from the

fires.

AHNOLD - Did the Steroids and Maria Take What Was Left of Your

BALLS!!!!!

To be honest, I really wouldn't want the National Guard working the fires. Fire fighting is dangerous even for those with experience. I have friends who fight fires, and they have shared the difficulties with me, and the last thing an experienced fire fighter would want it to have someone with little or no experience working beside him.

The California fires have their own style of challenges, and from what I have seen on TV, its no place for those who lack in proper training. Now if the National Guard trained beside fire fighters, then it would probably be ok, but I am under the impression that when the Guard trains they train to fight people not fires.

The Guard is actually engaged, but they're handling logistics so that all of the trained firefighters can be fighting fires instead of directing traffic.

But nobody wants to admit that. Then they wouldn't have anything to complain about.

Nobody has even noticed that Californians had set up top-notch refugee centers with good services and neighbors helping neighbors (one local news reporter actually said "like they used to do") days before FEMA showed up saying "we promise to help".

I chuckled and thought "no thanks, we've got it covered".

Guest zipperzone

>>But it's America, not Spain or Mexico

>

>Yes, it's America ... a country built by immigrants from the

>world over who have been welcomed into our society and have

>become productive citizens. We've been called the great

>melting pot.

>

>You're taking this a little over the top, don't you think?

Deej - we're not really getting along tonight, are we?

Over the top? I don't know - perhaps. It must be clear that I have no great love for Arnold. Reasons why are:

1. I hate his accent

2. I can't stand to look at his steroid bloated face

3. He is the worst actor to ever hit the big screen

4. I'm not a fan of his wife

5. He has a really ugly dick.

6. I truly believe all the womanising stories that were floating around about him when he 1st ran for Gov.

7. But most of all I think he is homophobic. He is smart enough to give gays SOME benefits but on the really important one - same sex marriage - he has twice vetoed what the legislature has passed. That makes him a dictator in my books.

And yes, I truly believe that if you are going to be the gov of a state, it behoves you to find out how to pronounce the name of the state.

Thank God he was not born in the US which precludes him running for President, because believe me, he would.

And you don't sound like you're exactly a fan of his either when you posted that you were thankful he was even able to remember the name.

I too have issues with Arnold but one of them certainly isn't with his accent. If you really want to hear the names of many California cities and streets fractured listen to the way they are pronunced by first time visitors from the midwest. They do wonderful things with names like, Sepulveda, Pico, La Jolla, and San Jose and they are native English speakers and THAT is the problem. For most of us who are native Californians this is simply an amusing nonissue.

Guest zipperzone

>I have my share of issues with the Governor, but I'll

>certainly not include his accent among them. That would be

>bigotry, which ironically is exactly what you're accusing

>*him* of.

>

>Pot, meet kettle.

Deej - you are 100& wrong. The only thing I'm accusing him of is not learning how to pronounce the name of the state he was elected to govern. That is NOT bigotry. But..... I am not necessarily convinced that bigotry is a distasteful trait. Sometimes it is - sometimes it is not.

The dictionary defines a bigot as "a person who is intolerant of opinions, lifestyles or identities differing from his or her own"

I have many opinions that differ from his - i.e. his opinion on gay marriage. Does that mean I'm a bigot? I differ from most opinions of the religious right, does that make me a bigot? If so, then it's a good thing, to quote Martha Stewart.

You certainly can't say I disapprove of his lifestyle.

And I'm not disapproving of his identity. Although I personally don't like his accent, I have no problem with the fact that he happens to be German (or Austrian - whatever). My own lover of many years is a German, who by the way has kept not a trace of his accent.

Another poster mentioned that Americans, visiting from the heartland, also don't know how to pronounce many common names found in Cal ee fornia. OK, so what, they are not called upon to represent the state on the world stage.

The only point I wish to make is that to me, personally, I think anyone in his position should after all these years be able to pronounce the name of the state, the way that I'm sure most of the US does. And it ain't Cal ee fornia. What a blessing he is not living in Ken too key, or Flor ee da, to name just a few.

So on this one, I guess we just have to agree to disagree. If anyone is a bigot, it's Arnold, otherwise you could marry me by now.

Yes, we'll have to agree to disagree.

You want to descriminate against him for something he was born with and cannot change, and he wants to do the same to you. Pot, meet kettle.

I won't address his stance on gay marriage because this IS NOT the politics forum.

>If you really want to hear the names of many

>California cities and streets fractured listen to the way they

>are pronounced by first time visitors from the midwest.

If you think those from the Midwest had a pronunciation problem, you better be glad you were not around to hear me when I was living in CA. I moved there straight from the deep South fresh out of college. Most of my travels had been restricted to southern states. But oh how I loved living in Sacramento! (except for the car insurance - don't know if it is the same, but at the time I paid 5x the rate I had been paying prior to moving there). :7

Guest zipperzone

>You want to descriminate against him for something he was born

>with and cannot change,

Of course he can change - he's an actor for God's sake! Not a good one, but still an actor. If he can't learn simple pronounciation then he should turn in his union card.

>and he wants to do the same to you.

>Pot, meet kettle.

Deej - usually your arguments have some merit but in this case it ain't a case of "Pot, meet kettle" But then we did agree to disagree, didn't we?

>I won't address his stance on gay marriage because this IS

>NOT the politics forum.

I think you are too quick to label topics as "political". To me this part is about homophobia and sexuality. The fact that a political figure is the culprit should be secondary to the issue.

Archived