Houston Tx

johnjohn
This topic is 1576 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Montrose is the name of the Gayborhood.

That brought back some memories. Lived briefly in Houston in early 80s. Worked at a downtown hotel. A bunch of us went out one night to #’s (Numbers) after our shift. I was wearing a tux. A few guys...um, seemed to sort of bump into me while walking by. Ahh, to be young again.

Sadly, Montrose is nearly over. Like Boystown in Chicago, the Houston gayborhood broke up and dispersed.

The most cohesive gay area in Texas is now in Dallas. Cedar Springs remains the only solid several blocks of all-gay/gay-owned establishments.

Good places to stay in Houston: Hotel Alessandra (Downtown), The Four Seasons (Downtown) and the JW Marriott (Downtown).

Sadly, Montrose is nearly over. Like Boystown in Chicago, the Houston gayborhood broke up and dispersed.

The most cohesive gay area in Texas is now in Dallas. Cedar Springs remains the only solid several blocks of all-gay/gay-owned establishments.

Good places to stay in Houston: Hotel Alessandra (Downtown), The Four Seasons (Downtown) and the JW Marriott (Downtown).

I got bedbugs at the downtown Four Seasons

I like the St Regis - very convenient.

Thanks for info

• 1 month later...

I've not stayed at Stay Alfred, but I drive by frequently to/from work. All of the Stay Alfreds are around the St Joseph Medicial Center south of the central business district. Not many restaurants close by. Restaurants are located about a mile away closer to Discovery Green Park or Midtown (Bagby & W Gray). Also, Greyhound Bus Station is at W Gray & Main. I'd stay away from that area. If you have a car, it will be fine. If you are walking, north towards the central business district (anywhere from Toyota Center to Minute Maid Park) you will find restaurants and bars. You may find Houston's homeless population under the bridges along Pierce Street. All of the Stay Alfreds are fairly new and look like corporate apartements.

I've not stayed at Stay Alfred, but I drive by frequently to/from work. All of the Stay Alfreds are around the St Joseph Medicial Center south of the central business district. Not many restaurants close by. Restaurants are located about a mile away closer to Discovery Green Park or Midtown (Bagby & W Gray). Also, Greyhound Bus Station is at W Gray & Main. I'd stay away from that area. If you have a car, it will be fine. If you are walking, north towards the central business district (anywhere from Toyota Center to Minute Maid Park) you will find restaurants and bars. You may find Houston's homeless population under the bridges along Pierce Street. All of the Stay Alfreds are fairly new and look like corporate apartements.

Thank for the info, I am going to try the the one on Caroline St. https://www.stayalfred.com/property/stay-alfred-on-caroline-street do you think its a ok area? I will have a car, but will also use lyft . I will post how it goes

Yes, it is a nice place. The area is fine. It was built a few years ago. The building leases out to permanent apartment tenants and apparently also rents short term stays via Stay Alfred. It's close to the central business district and midtown. February in Houston is generally quite nice - mid 60's low 70's. Based on its location, the short term folks are either here for St Joseph Med Center (a block away) or business travelings wanting an apartment instead of a hotel.

Yes, it is a nice place. The area is fine. It was built a few years ago. The building leases out to permanent apartment tenants and apparently also rents short term stays via Stay Alfred. It's close to the central business district and midtown. February in Houston is generally quite nice - mid 60's low 70's. Based on its location, the short term folks are either here for St Joseph Med Center (a block away) or business travelings wanting an apartment instead of a hotel.

Thanks JrHoutex