Airport Pat Down

E.T.Bass
This topic is 1658 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

@E.T.Bass. Ever since I got my ICD (pacemaker/defibrillator) I have to ask for a pat-down. My device can not go through a metal detector nor can they use a wand on me, however, I can go through the x-ray detector.

In NYC detectors are not only in airports but in theaters, museums, & stadiums. So, I’ve had a lot of pat-downs. Never once did any agent, during the pat-down, touch my junk or butt. They have been most respectful and some even funny about it.

Last week at a museum the security guard told me to take everything out of my pocket & put it into the basket. When I told him I had a pacemaker/defibrillator he said, “Yea, you can put that in too”. He had a sense of humor about it.

To be honest, most guards seem uncomfortable about giving a pat-down. In the Vienna airport when I told security I had the implant, he looked at me with a concerned look and asked if I were ok. He just asked me to extend my arms & spread my legs. No pat-down.

The security guards are trained in how to deal with individuals with an ICD. If they felt it necessary to touch my junk or butt I won’t have an issue. They’re just doing their job.

The screen warned directly over my junk and right inner thigh.

All I can guess is my heavy cotton shirt, untucked, combined with 501 jeans.

Don't know if static electricity creates some kind of footprint. Perhaps that was a factor.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had a pacemaker for 50 years. I go through a metal detector all the time. Once in a while a pat down. My doctor suggests I get a pacemaker/defribillator, but I'm not sure about doing it yet.

Yes, with just a pacemaker you can go through detectors but not if you have a defibrillator. Can’t get an MRI either.

I have knee replacements and use TSAprecheck. The procedure seems to be a little bit different at every airport. I usually go through the X-ray machine (feet spread, hands in the air...I’m ready ?) then the call for a male agent (yeah!!). Most times he only uses the wand and a light touch on my arms and maybe belt area. But...a few weeks ago...I got the pat down ?. A young, big dude...6’5”, 220lbs. He asked if I wanted the private area...I am far from shy...so no.He was way more nervous than I was. Wow... good pat down! There was not a single part of me that wasn’t checked. The back of his hand touched my junk more than once! The best was the inner thigh and butt! When he was finished!?! ... I told him...”The last time I had a massage that good it cost $100 bucks! Ahhhh...that nervous smile from that big guy...made my day!!!?