The King on Netflix

g56whiz
This topic is 1659 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I really liked The King! It is cinematically wonderful. The sets and settings are beautiful if somewhat dimly lit - as befits the age. The battle scenes are epic and gory but not egregiously so: The Battle of Agincourt was fought in mud and here you see lots of mud and less the blood with which it was mixed. The plot follows much of Shakespeare’s Henry IV Parts I and 2 and Henry V which is to say it takes some of the historical liberties that Shakespeare did (Henry was more like 27 when he took the throne: not around 20 as Timothee Chalamet makes him appear). The language is Shakespearean although not oppressively so: lots of colorful metaphors rather than an overabundance of “thee’s” and “thou”s”. The acting is superb. He develops from a petulant child to an adult monarch who takes on the concerns of his world dealing with conundrums for which there is no real answer.

My only regret is that I don’t own an 80” TV or had a chance to see this in a theatrical release. I’ll watch it again if only on my we Samsung,

I really liked The King! It is cinematically wonderful. The sets and settings are beautiful if somewhat dimly lit - as befits the age. The battle scenes are epic and gory but not egregiously so: The Battle of Agincourt was fought in mud and here you see lots of mud and less the blood with which it was mixed. The plot follows much of Shakespeare’s Henry IV Parts I and 2 and Henry V which is to say it takes some of the historical liberties that Shakespeare did (Henry was more like 27 when he took the throne: not around 20 as Timothee Chalamet makes him appear). The language is Shakespearean although not oppressively so: lots of colorful metaphors rather than an overabundance of “thee’s” and “thou”s”. The acting is superb. He develops from a petulant child to an adult monarch who takes on the concerns of his world dealing with conundrums for which there is no real answer.

My only regret is that I don’t own an 80” TV or had a chance to see this in a theatrical release. I’ll watch it again if only on my we Samsung,

Just in time for Veterans day weekend - thanks for the recommendation; moving it to the top of the list!