Washington DC Recommendations

Reisr30
This topic is 1648 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I’m thinking of taking a trip to DC. I’ve never visited before and this would be for fun. Any hotel recommendations? I usually stay at Marriotts because I have status with them but am open to other hotels.

Also any recommendations on restaurants? Sometimes I like to take the companion I’m meeting to dinner. I tend to be shy and can get anxious so wouldn’t like any places where we might stand out.

Edited by Reisr30

Kimpton Palomar is a place I’ve enjoyed staying - nice location, reasonable price (HotelsTonight app usually how I book this property)

Some of the rooms are nice and big, some are the size of a closet. I guess you got lucky all the times you booked there.

@Reisr30 Would you like a pool in your hotel? what about a specific are of town? Do you want a club lounge? If you want a Marriott (Sheraton, W, Westin, included) you have dozens of hotels available.

Kimpton Palomar is a place I’ve enjoyed staying - nice location, reasonable price (HotelsTonight app usually how I book this property)

Some of the rooms are nice and big, some are the size of a closet. I guess you got lucky all the times you booked there.

@Reisr30 Would you like a pool in your hotel? what about a specific are of town? Do you want a club lounge? If you want a Marriott (Sheraton, W, Westin, included) you have dozens of hotels available.

@marylander1940 thanks, a pool is not important to me. I have never been to DC so not sure what neighborhood; in NYC I like the village, flatiron and gramercy areas. Low key guy here enjoy pubs and good restaurants and places where if I am taking a companion with me we won’t standout.

@Steve yabsley the Marriott marquis sounds great. Thank you.

@marylander1940 thanks, a pool is not important to me. I have never been to DC so not sure what neighborhood; in NYC I like the village, flatiron and gramercy areas. Low key guy here enjoy pubs and good restaurants and places where if I am taking a companion with me we won’t standout.

I usually stay at the Renaissance @ 999 ninth street nw. Great location, easy metro access, pubs and restaurants around. And no key card needed for elevator. ?

In summer the Donovan House is nice because of it's rooftop gay pool. Otherwise hotels closer to Dupont Circle/West End/Georgetown are most walkable and interesting neighborhoods. A lot depends on budget as to specific ones but any in these neighborhoods should be fine. Capitol Hill is more remote (except for the annual leather festival at the Hyatt!). There are a couple very nice new hotels in the fairly interesting new Wharf complex on the river.

• 1 month later...
In summer the Donovan House is nice because of it's rooftop gay pool. Otherwise hotels closer to Dupont Circle/West End/Georgetown are most walkable and interesting neighborhoods. A lot depends on budget as to specific ones but any in these neighborhoods should be fine. Capitol Hill is more remote (except for the annual leather festival at the Hyatt!). There are a couple very nice new hotels in the fairly interesting new Wharf complex on the river.

Have you been down to the Wharf lately? I've heard it's hopping on a weekend night if the weather is nice.

Have you been down to the Wharf lately? I've heard it's hopping on a weekend night if the weather is nice.

I have been there with visitors a couple times now. Parking is awful....a huge underground lot. The Anthem has huge crowds. The outside and docks are pretty nice, as is the old Wharf market, but I just think there are way too many people and it's mostly a bar/cafe place. ...with seagulls.

Don’t know if you’ve made your trip yet but I like to stay at the St. Gregory Hotel in the DuPont area. I’m a Hilton member but when I come to DC I like staying at this boutique hotel.

I can highly recommend the Embassy Inn on 16th in Dupont/Logan. Many visiting providers work out of it too. It's really nice in all respects.