Grammar

BeefyDude
This topic is 1695 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I'm a writer-editor by profession and have many times bartered with masseurs whose ads have been grammatically incorrect, unclear, rife with misspellings, etc. I edit or completely rewrite their ads and Web sites in exchange for massages. This has been mutually beneficial.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I suffered grammatical trauma in 2012 when the Associated Press Stylebook announced that the word “hopefully” (as in “it is hoped”) can now appear in newspapers. According to the Washington Post, this makes them barbarians. As Dictionary.com noted:

"Even though the AP has now accepted it, hopefully-the-sentence-modifier still irks some. Not only did the Washington Post say, “The barbarians have finally done it”, but Rob Reinalda called it “lazy and subjective.” Apparently, using “hopefully” makes you a lazy barbarian. We’d hope not."

William Strunk Jr. and E.B. White are rolling over in their graves.

Hopefully, my trauma won't last forever.

I suffered grammatical trauma in 2012 when the Associated Press Stylebook announced that the word “hopefully” (as in “it is hoped”) can now appear in newspapers. According to the Washington Post, this makes them barbarians. As Dictionary.com noted:

"Even though the AP has now accepted it, hopefully-the-sentence-modifier still irks some. Not only did the Washington Post say, “The barbarians have finally done it”, but Rob Reinalda called it “lazy and subjective.” Apparently, using “hopefully” makes you a lazy barbarian. We’d hope not."

William Strunk Jr. and E.B. White are rolling over in their graves.

Hopefully, my trauma won't last forever.

I’m empathetic. I’ve known that people make great misuse of this adverb since I was around eight years old. Same goes for “literally,” which I believe was also in 2012 deemed acceptable by the powers that be. Not hot.

hehe...sorry, but have to do it...:)

Speaking of grammar, @newatthis, shouldn't item 4 in your list read: "And most importantly" ?

We could ask @lorenipsum.

I was actually truncating "most important to me." Internet speak. Hope to ask @lorenipsum in person sometime.

I’m ready and waiting with bated breath.

(By the way, it’s loremipsum — just pointing that out so as to ensure that you don’t lose your way to my page, ipso facto precluding our meeting.) ?