Grammar

BeefyDude
This topic is 1695 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am totally on your side but this is an argument we'll never win. I see the same thing everywhere, especially at work. Nobody bothers to check what they've written. My favorite? Writing something like "This is now working" - did they mean "not"? I avoid that phrasing entirely now.

I saw a quote once, "Don't write so you can be understood. Write so you can't be misunderstood". That guides everything I write.

I often have "Auto Spell" change words from what I meant to what it wanted.

However, in it's defense it does catch some of my misspellings even tho it often it highlights words it doesn't know how to spell.

I finally found the way to turn of it offensive behavior of adding a "." whenever I type a space twice.

In addition to everything else, text-speak can be frustrating to those of us who prefer regular old English. After all these years, I still hate "ur" for "your." But I particularly hate those that use "no" as a deliberate (?) shortcut for "know." I also see the obnoxious word "tryna" more and more (i.e. "trying to") which always seems like a first name to me.

But I particularly hate those that use "no" as a deliberate (?) shortcut for "know." I also see the obnoxious word "tryna" more and more (i.e. "trying to") which always seems like a first name to me.

those who* and put a comma after that “i.e.”

I was a worse “Grammar Nazi” in my teens — perhaps in part informed by my being the copy editor of the school paper. A friend exploited this in the form of a threat after she expressed via text that she’d grown weary of my “elevated diction” — I replied with a deliberately-phrased “I cannot help it if this is the manner in which I speak. Or text, rather.” Her response: “STOP OR I’LL STOP USING PUNCTUATION.”

Now I’m mostly bothered when people don’t use question marks, that is unless a word is used that clearly indicates that a question is being asked rather than a statement being made (e.g., the “is” in “is 5PM good” rather than “5PM good”). I’m sometimes texted a simple “Rates and availability” — no “Hello,” no question mark — I just don’t reply.

I appreciate that this can be off-putting to potential clients, but there’s a lid for every pot: One of my regulars, upon our first rendezvous, intimated to me that the ultimate, deciding factor in his meeting me was seeing in my ad “Please use complete sentences when contacting me.” (He’s a writer; he was an English and Philosophy major at Georgetown, and then went on to Yale Law School, so it makes sense.) I’m fine if I only attract clients of that ilk.

In the interest of softening my perceived fastidiousness: I’m okay with split infinitives; far too many phrases are awkwardly-put if one really wants to avoid splitting their verb phrases.

Edited by loremipsum

Lots of thoughts about this thread....

1. Not everyone is a native speaker of English.
  2. As already noted, your messaging or typing app may autocorrect or autocomplete in an unintended way that can be hard to catch.
  3. On my reading list is "Because Internet" by Gretchen McCulloch. I've seen excerpts in reviews. Basic idea: texting is rapidly adding to and changing our language. An example: ending sentences with a period in texting connotes abruptness and can turn off your reader (I've verified that with teen-agers of my acquaintance).
  4. And most important -- I've discovered loremipsum, aka Dante, whose RM ad is a gem. Now on my San Diego radar for sure.

Lots of thoughts about this thread....

1. Not everyone is a native speaker of English.
  2. As already noted, your messaging or typing app may autocorrect or autocomplete in an unintended way that can be hard to catch.
  3. On my reading list is "Because Internet" by Gretchen McCulloch. I've seen excerpts in reviews. Basic idea: texting is rapidly adding to and changing our language. An example: ending sentences with a period in texting connotes abruptness and can turn off your reader (I've verified that with teen-agers of my acquaintance).
  4. And most important -- I've discovered loremipsum, aka Dante, whose RM ad is a gem. Now on my San Diego radar for sure.

Guest InthePines
hehe...sorry, but have to do it...:)

Speaking of grammar, @newatthis, shouldn't item 4 in your list read: "And most importantly" ?

We could ask @lorenipsum.

Reminds me of my six grade teacher addressing my fixation with the word badly, so she asked me, "do you ever feel goodly?"

I stopped using badly and realized that day life would be a series of very sad sacrifices.

Guest InthePines
hehe...sorry, but have to do it...:)

Speaking of grammar, @newatthis, shouldn't item 4 in your list read: "And most importantly" ?

We could ask @lorenipsum.

Reminds me of my six grade teacher addressing my fixation with the word badly, so she asked me, "do you ever feel goodly?"

I stopped using badly and realized that day life would be a series of very sad sacrifices.