Help for online shopping.

Guest RandyRon
This topic is 6083 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Guest RandyRon

Guys I need some help for an online purchase. I need to buy a new CPAP machine (it's for sleep apnea) and my insurance won't cover it. If I buy it locally, the one I need is about $1,000. However, I've found one on the net for about $400. The site is directhomemedical.com My problem is how to find out if the site is legit. INOW, will I get what they advertise and will it be safe to give them my credit card number? The only times I've ordered from the web has been from large companies such as Amazon. I've tried an online search for the company but all I could find out was from the Better Business Burear which said they had no record of complaints. Don't know if that means there are no complaints because the company doesn't exist or no one ever filed one with the BBB.

I know some of you experts on the web and using online shopping will be able to give me the answer.

Thanks

On first read, I thought you were buying a CRAP machine and I was going to suggest you go ahead and get a good one. ;-)

Many credit card companies, through their online portals, will give you a "temporary" card number to use for an online purchase. It protects your real card number for situations like this. You should check into that.

But even lacking that, you still have the full protections offered by your credit card. There are DARNED FEW online vendors that will risk losing their merchant accounts for excessive charge backs. If they want payment through Paypal (or similar), I'd think twice. But if they're directly accepting your credit card, I would feel less risk. No complaints at the BBB is a good sign, albeit not definitive.

There are no guarantees, but credit card companies are pretty good about things like this when you do make a mistake. It's up to you to catch the mistake. Monitor your account DAILY to make sure there are no suspicious charges. But you'll have energy to do that because you'll be sleeping better. :7

Archived