What to do in Vancouver

seeker630
This topic is 6153 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I will be in Vancouver for 2 days/3 nights in late July. (Traveling with a friend who's not interested in the gay stuff.)

2 days is very brief - any suggestions on what to see & do?

Also, good restaurants? (Our tastes are eclectic).

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.:D

Vancouver is spread out over a pretty large land mass, so it will be difficult to see and do every thing in two days, especially if you go to Victoria. Here is a short list of things I have enjoyed there.

The Chinese Gardens which are the largest Chinese gardens in North America. Stanley Park, near the harbour. Granville Island, where the artists and yuppies hang out. The Queen Elizabeth formal gardens. Finally, if you have time, Victoria.

Have fun.

Best regards,

KMEM

Vancouver is one of my favorite cities in North America and fortunately my business right now is allowing me to visit the city rather often. There’s plenty to do and I suggest you check out the local convention and visitors bureau site for Tourism Vancouver at http://www.tourismvancouver.com/visitors/index.php for more information on the tons of things to do in the city.

My first suggestion is find out if Kevin or Juan will be in town and be sure to book a session if your schedule permits. :9 Ditch your travel companion if necessary. Ok, all kidding aside here are some suggestions.

Start with Stanley Park, it’s a major aspect of the city and many citizens consider it a crown jewel. It’s larger than NYC’s Central Park and has a 10K seawall that encircles the entire park that you can walk or bike completely around. However, this past December the park was hit by a major storm and thousands of second growth trees were knocked down. The city is in the process of cleaning up the damage but the park is so large there’s plenty to still see and experience. Vancouver Aquarium is also located here.

Grouse Mountain offers a spectacular view of the entire city and Vancouver Island. Take the tram up to the mountain and dine at one of the restaurants up there. In winter this is the great place for skiing and snow boarding.

Capilano Suspension Bridge is near Grouse Mountain and offers a great opportunity for a bit of hiking and offers a great outdoor experience not far from the city. Go to the Capilano Salmon Fish Hatchery which is near by to get a worth while education on salmon migration.

Science World is worth checking out for their primary traveling exhibit. Warning – this is the local CHILDREN’S Museum so there will be rug rats galore. If you can’t stand high decibel levels this is a place to avoid. However, the traveling exhibit space has had some very interesting and worth while offers including The Body Series and History of Chocolate.

The Dr. Sun Yat-Sen Chinese garden is worth seeing and I like it much better than VanDusen Botanical Gardens which look a bit tired and in need of some rennovation.

Try the University of British Columbia Museum for a good background on the First Nations groups there. Also, the research collection is open to the public and you can see even more items in this collection than the public galleries. Note they are under renovation so check to see what’s open.

Vancouver Museum is about as good, if not better, than most other local history museums.

Kitsilano Beach is the local version of Venice Beach.

Here’s a list of restaurants to consider. I’ve not had a bad meal in Vancouver on any of my visits so you should do pretty well any place. Obviously seafood and Pan Asian places abound.

CinCin

Italian, very good.

Ciopino’s

Also Italian in Yale Town, very good, great wine list

Tojo's Restaurant

Japanese – Incredible Sushi, can be expensive for some

Flying Tiger

Pan Asian – small place, holds about 40 people you need reservations, this is one of those “small plates” restaurants sort of like Spanish Tapas style

Blue Water Café

In Yale Town, seafood obviously and very good

Bridges Restaurant

Located in Granville Island typical dockside restaurant

Sandbar Seafood Restaurant

Also in Granville Island and typical dockside restaurant as well

Steamworks Brewery Pub

Near the convention center and near Gastown. Very good brew pub.

Good luck, I am sure you will have a great time.

Oh, BTW, listen for the "Nine O'clock Gun" in the evening you can set your watch by it. :-) :-)

If you're into sushi, you *have* to go eat at Tojo's in Vancouver, http://www.tojos.com/, at the sushi bar, and do Chef Tojo's menu.

Tojo's is listed in the book 1000 Things to Do Before You Die, where I heard about it. The sushi he creates are out of this world and utterly sublime, which would explain the tons of celebrities who hang out at his joint whenever there's a filming in town. It's a once in a lifetime thing.

Be prepared to spend anywhere from $120 and up. It depends on how much you can eat - he'll keep serving you dishes of sushi until you say stop - each sushi dish is unique from the previous one, with nothing duplicated (unless you ask for something again).

-PoppedRice

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions thus far.

Other comments still appreciated - we don't leave until the 25th - have added an extra day to our stay. Will be staying at the Fairmount Harborside one night & then 3 nights at the Fairmount downtown.

Whalewatching has been suggested but I'd hate to invest a lot of time & not see anything! x(

Hey Mister,

It always shocks me when people know so much about Vancouver... I always think about Vancouver as this little beautiful paradise in the middle of nowhere, unknown by everyone.

You have been told about almost all the fun things to do, I would like to add a few more. If you like flying, there are float plane tours from which you can have an amazing view of the city. During the summer there isn't any city that is more beautiful and it is really worth it seeing it from the air. Ask your hotel concierge, he will be able to tell you the details.

Also, if you like nude beaches, we have a very famous one called Wreck beach, where all sorts of people go get their wares tanned. There is a mixed beach, and if the urge strikes, there is the more secluded, sex-friendly gay side of it. This is near the University of BC.

As for restaurants, I will just add a few.

If you want a to experience Vancouver's best and are not so worried about budget, you should definitely go to either "Lumiere", "C", or "Nu". All of them belong to a very famous British Columbian Chef, and they were carefully created to give you an amazing dinning experience. Lumiere is the most expensive, Nu is the least. C is seafood.

If you want a funky place with a strong personality, excellent food at really afordable prices, wine list awards and a tapas kind of menu, you should definitely go to BIN 941 on Davie street. You may have to wait for a table, having a drink, but believe me, food will soon make you forget the wait.

If you want to watch the sunset at the most vibrant area of Vancouver, you should go to English Bay and choose from the many eateries there. My favourites being Raincity Grill, The boathouse, The Crab Company, (Try not to think too much about the name), and a little Malasyan restaurant a block and a half away where they serve the best roti (Fried nan-style bread.), Banana Leaf.

I would second the recoommendations for Blue water cafe, Tojo's, Sandbar, Cin Cin, and if you are not afraid of chain restaurants and it is too late for anything else, do try Moxie's on Davie or Cactus Cafe in Yaletown, the last one filled with the hippest, most beautiful crowd. It is always good to go there for a drink and as much eye-candy as you can digest.

Enjoy your time in Vancouver. Summer all of a sudden looks perfect and sunny. I hope it will remain like this. If you have time, I do recommend not to miss my friend Kevin... a perfect sample of what Canadian friendliness (and Canadian Prime Beef) looks like. :p

Have a great trip!

Juan,

Thanks for taking the time to share these suggestions. If you were in town, I'd probably find a way to ditch my friend for a few hours }( But since I'm a top, I guess I'll give Kevin a pass.

What's the dress code for the nicer trio of restaurants you mentioned? We're probably not taking much of a wardrobe.

Vancouver dress code?

Not to bitch about one of my favourite cities but...

you could go to any of those restaurants dressed in fleece and nobody would bat an eye. I am sure that dress pants and a nice shirt will make you feel perfectly attired for the ocassion.

I really hope you enjoy your time here, and I am sorry I will miss you.

Have a blast!

RE: Vancouver dress code?

Maybe this would not be fair, since I am a bottom, but I think Kevin is worth not even doing anything there. He is one of the three best kissers I have ever met. He is the nicest, warmest most genuine persons I have ever met. I know you have a friend but Kevin is worth a couple of hours (days) especially coupled with a meal. To be honest the moment he gives the hug and kiss when you meet you literally fall into those ocean blue eyes and come up gasping for air.

RE: Vancouver dress code?

I have spent the last 35 years in a Southern college town where nice khaki slacks & a button-down shirt will suit the most upscale establishmentsm with few excpetions, and I like it that way :D

Looking forward to Vancouver!

Archived