Brazil's president says he doesn't want the country to be a 'gay tourism paradise' because 'we have families'

Quincy_7
This topic is 1862 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Brazil's president says he doesn't want the country to be a 'gay tourism paradise' because 'we have families'

I thought to put this here rather than in the politics sub-forum because of the topics implications re gay tourism in Brazil. If it's better off in politics then I'd like to kindly ask the mods to move this thread.

Personally, the language issue was already putting me off visiting Brazil. Bolsonaro is just an added reason. The hottest Brazilians seem to make their way out of Brazil anyways.

This raises the question of if its still safe, in light of Bolsonaro, to still visit Brazil with the goal of engaging in sex tourism. Personally, I think it best to wait out Bolsonaro's administration and hope for a more liberal successor.

One might base decisions on a number of factors.

How much douchebag politicians can say with impunity, pandering to their base and getting press. Remember that Bolsonaro and Rio mayor Crivella are generally thumbs down on any diversity and are happy to deflect from the realities of actually serious out-of-control social problems.

Re: orientation and transgender, 15% of the general population lacks acceptance for a defined 10% of the general population. This performance record still outranks American attitudes in favour of LGBTQ

Preponderance of violent hate crimes committed on LGBTQ nationals. Terrible performance record, as is the alarming overall national homicide rate.

Decriminalization of sodomy. Done and dusted. Not so in some other countries.

Professional regulatory licensing bodies. They have a very dim and intolerant view of pathologizing sexual diversity, and shit-for-brain therapists are shunned.

Socioeconomic status of the homosexual minority. More represented in the top tiers of wealth, consumer privilege, and quality of life compared to hetero.

Societal and legal advances since 1980 favouring acceptance and rights protection. Less than Europe, a little less than Canada and Australia, on par with Latin America, better than USA.

How much a country is already stereotyped as a gay tourism mecca. Brazil in top 10? Top 3? Likely gets under the skin of local evangelicalism, homonegative fundamentalism. The perception of gay-magnetizing likely amplified by absolute numbers outside of statistical reality, for example breadth of Pride attendance, as well as the relaxation of self-presentation towards fluidity in all forms of identity during Carnaval madness.

How much a country wants to inflate overall tourism and taking measures for same. Muchly.

How much vitriolic hatred and disapproval that is front of mind within the individual and directed to select soccer players and teams compared to other minorities.

What repeat visitors say ... Personally, I am not gifted with foreign language skills but that does not pose an impediment for me when in Brazil. I worry most, like anyone there, about being robbed, though I have not been targetted over many trips. As a gay sex tourist, being defined as "other" by straight trade who are able to suspend their anxiety and differentiate their MSM behaviour as more performative than self-defining viz orientation, actually works out fairly well. The complex balance of easy cash access and financial expediency, as well as the capacity they possess to distance their motives from mine because of the very compartmentalization of orientation that otherwise potentially yields discrimination paradoxically works for some of us. To equalize socioeconomic status they draw selectively on the collective psyche to help create a narrative that mitigates the negative implications involved in prostituting themselves. It is a complex phenomenon to explain, but I think that the ability to reconcile commercial sex with conventional heterosexual roles is somewhat more uniquely advanced for these men. Muscle worship is a foreign concept; it is a point of pride to top johns skillfully and impressively. Simply put, my impression is that gay-for-pay there is more easily integrated into what is occupationally viable. Mind you, it may be absolute numbers, as in other examples. A vast population may statistically better sustain the existence of a miniscule minority that nevertheless exceeds the actual inventory of other destinations. Not to mention that a small proportion of men can sustain physiological arousal out of synch with subjective sexual cue preference.

The appeal of travel to a densely populated place, with sex trade infrastructure capturing the trickle-down effects of variables supporting sex play experiences in line with my self-serving fantasies, is always going to far override the transient mouthing off of a temporarily tenured blowhard.

Edited by SirBIllybob

Well we just need to prove him right by not traveling to Brazil..the economy under Bolsonaro has not gotten any better. Economists are very pessimistic about the future of Brazil's economy under his "leadership." Hopefully, the public can right the ship after seeing that ugly populism does nothing but divide the country and cause more problems: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-04-22/brazil-economic-growth-outlook-plunges-to-lowest-level-ever