Jordan Peele's Us

oldNbusted
This topic is 1036 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

It’s more of a straight forward suspense/horror movie and not as heavy on the social commentary as Get Out.

That might be better for me, as I felt Get Out would have been improved had it leaned more towards either humor or horror. The mix it had of those elements didn't entirely work for me.

SPOILER - whether you enjoyed it or not the "artsy-fartsy stuff" does make sense. Early in the film you see on the t.v. a report from 1986 about Hands Across American where we all came together demanding help for those in poverty who were less fortunate, even hungry, in our society. In another scene a child is wearing a Hands Across America t-shirt. The movie delves into our dual natures as humans- our better angels as opposed to our primal, tribal selves. The final images (2019) involve lines of people in red jump suits

hell bent on hate and destruction. Look how far we've come in such a short time.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/20/movies/us-movie-review.html?rref=collection%2Fsectioncollection%2Farts&action=click&contentCollection=arts&region=rank&module=package&version=highlights&contentPlacement=7&pgtype=sectionfront

Edited by Cash4Trash

It’s more of a straight forward suspense/horror movie and not as heavy on the social commentary as Get Out.

I think Us is definitely a more complex and mature work than Get Out. Whereas Get Out was addressing a well known situation that is so familiar, it's possible to have knowing jokes that reference it within the film, I think Us illustrates intrinsic qualities of human nature, that end up being reflected in many situations, and so cannot easily be explicitly referenced within the film. The advantage of this technique is it leaves it to the audience to say "this is really about [fill in the blank]". Personally, I love films that do this, so I like Us quite a bit.

whether you enjoyed it or not the "artsy-fartsy stuff" does make sense.

Agreed, these scenes convey important details that are critical to understanding all that has happened in the story.

Saw it today and really liked it. It maybe has a bit too many ideas, but in an era where many movies have little or none, I will take that any day. Lupita Nyong'o's performance(s) is incredible and should definitely be a part of the awards conversation next year. Although all the actors did a great job and I loved how it got a lot more expansive than I thought it would.

Interesting comparison of the differences between and the relationship between Get Out and Us:

https://afropunk.com/2019/03/jordan-peeles-us-review/

I haven't seen Us, but I'm more likely to based on this, particularly since I did see Get Out.

It's good, but I'll go back to my take that Us is constructed in such a way that people can say it's a metaphor for a lot of things. And within the story itself, it certainly does hold a mirror up to the audience and it's pretty clear not everyone likes what they see...

• 2 years later...

I finally saw the movie. I just was confused about the ending a bit. 

SPOILER ALERT:

I had to go online and read exactly how the real and copycat characters were swapped:

While Adelaide drives the family away in the ambulance, she recalls the night she first met Red in the hall of mirrors. The doppelgänger choked Adelaide unconscious (damaging her larynx), dragged her underground, handcuffed her there, and returned above ground to take Adelaide's place, eventually learning to speak and adjusting. 

So that does explain how red is the only one of the "copycats" that speaks and why she talked like she did but it's just a little weird that they had both forgotten that they swapped places. 

Good thing then they deleted this scene out of the movie because you can see her grab her throat and talk a little weird but not to the point that red does:

His next film comes out July 22, 2022 and he's teaming up again with Get Out's Daniel Kaluuya. Can't wait for plot details.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Untitled_Jordan_Peele_film