CPA recommendation?

Kevin Slater
This topic is 1907 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Why doesn't the trustee of your SEP would provide the 5500 filing as part of their service.

If you're using a brokerage account with a mutual fund family's brokerage, they would definitely provide the 5500 filing for you.

I use Fidelity. Apparently that's not a service they provide.

Kevin Slater

They won't file it or you're not required to file it. Under Fidelity's website they write "No Form 5500 filing" and on Vanguard's website, they write "Complete Form 5305-SEP to set up a plan.

No IRS reporting required."

So if it's a SEP-IRA you might not need to file Form 5500.

The question came up along with having a Pension Fidelity Bond in my case.

They won't file it or you're not required to file it. Under Fidelity's website they write "No Form 5500 filing" and on Vanguard's website, they write "Complete Form 5305-SEP to set up a plan.

No IRS reporting required."

So if it's a SEP-IRA you might not need to file Form 5500.

The question came up along with having a Pension Fidelity Bond in my case.

It's a solo 401k, if that makes a difference.

Kevin Slater

Any CPAs on here familiar with form 5500 for solo self-employed retirement plans? I have a couple questions.

Thx.

Kevin Slater

Not a CPA but I'm familiar with Forms 5500 and have filled a few out in my day. Also I've worked for the IRS in the past and am pretty good at deciphering IRS publications. DM me if interested.

Disclaimer: This would not involve the provision of legal advice, as I haven't been registered anywhere as a lawyer for years.