The Kindness of Strangers

Pensant
This topic is 1915 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Yesterday afternoon I took advantage of the warmer weather by running along the river trail in the city where I spend half the year. As I was on my return leg, I saw a group of people around a man who had fallen off his bike. I think it happened as he crossed several railroad lines that are seldom used. I got there within minutes of his fall and he was still unconscious. I asked him his name and he gradually came to. I’m sure he suffered a concussion. I wasn’t sure if he was a homeless person but based on his attire, it was hard to tell. I’m guessing he was about 70. He was wearing pink leather loafers and jeans that were rolled up his legs. When he came to, he asked about his dog. I noted that his bike had a basket attached in the rear.

By now, there were around ten people around him. Half immediately started looking for his dog, me included. Another had already called for an ambulance. When he came to, he kept asking about his dog and apologizing for his situation. Everyone was concerned for his well-being. When the EMTs arrived, they were equally solicitous. We hear so much about incivility these days that it’s wonderful when humans act in this way with a perfect stranger in distress. One woman got his number and promised to post about his missing dog on the neighborhood app.

I felt the whole episode was poignant. Just wanted to share.

Just today a fellow passenger on my flight asked if I had seen a small black pouch. His voice was shaky as it was apparent he was in distress. He promptly told me and others that in this pouch was his insulin. 8 people or so all worked together with phone flashlights on until it was found.

This moment struck me in a way. Most airplane travelers I encounter just do their own thing and totally disregard everyone else. Humanity was seemingly restored in this short moment.

...he was still unconscious. I asked him his name and he gradually came to. I’m sure he suffered a concussion....

If he was unconscious as a result of the trauma, then, by definition, he had a concussion. (I'm assuming he didn't just fall asleep on his own) ;)