Merli on Netflix

Cooper
This topic is 1897 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Just finished watching Season 1 of Merli on Netflix. If you enjoyed "Rita", you'll like this one... Merli is a Philosophy teacher at a mostly white High School in Spain. He's well liked by the students but his methods are questioned by the parents, staff and administrators. Merli has a gay and popular/handsome son named Bruno who's in his class. He's not out and is struggling with his feelings which have resulted in him becoming a serious discipline problem in the classroom.

Each episode is named after a philosopher and the classroom discussions are most interesting. The students have typical teenage problems such as dealing with friendship, trust, family, divorce, death, sex, alcohol, romance, homosexual feelings, dropping out of school, and fights. When an openly gay student joins the class, Bruno tries to distance himself from him and calls him a "faggot". Later, a friendship will develop and the last episode has a wonderful scene of the two dancing together.

It has subtitles and a class in speed reading would help. It did make figuring out some of the adult and student relationships a bit confusing. The HS actors are good looking and very likeable. Season 1 has 13 Episodes that move quickly.

I enjoyed it.

Edited by Cooper

I watched this show a couple of years ago and enjoyed it very much. The eye candy certainly was a plus. Don't seem to be plans for a second season.

There were 3 seasons of Merlí, but apparently Netflix bought the rights for only Season 1. I have no idea if they plan to buy Seasons 2 & 3. You just never know with Netflix.

On one hand, Netflix likes to buy TV series from Spain because they're a bargain (much cheaper than producing their own Spanish-language shows) and because the number of Spanish-speaking Netflix subscribers in the US is large and growing. On the other hand, Merlí is dubbed into Spanish (original language is Catalan). I don't know about other people, but dubbing drives me crazy.

By the way, do they show the Catalan or Spanish version on Netflix? Or do they give you a choice? If you're reading English subtitles, I guess it doesn't matter.